Easter Musings
For a while now I've disliked the Easter holiday. I've chalked it up to it being the last holiday my parents were in the state and my guilt over not joining them for dinner. Little did I know they'd be moving west before Thanksgiving. But as I pondered the season yesterday I started wondering why I don't feel that way about the other holidays, and then I realized: Easter is the only holiday my friends and I don't have some sort of celebration.
I usually do the Christmas party, Monie hosts "Friendsgiving", Jill and Dan have Halloween and, in recent years, New Years. There is the Irish bar for Cinco de Mayo and the Mexican one for St. Patty's Day. But nothing for Easter. I am very lucky to be adopted by different friends and their families for the holidays, which is just wonderful, but I usually have a little pang of sadness because I'm not with my mom and dad. Easter has become the holiday I am most likely to just stay home, and I wonder if it's not because it seems to be the most family oriented day for us.
As I think on it, not all of us celebrate Easter, and I honestly have never heard of an Easter party and don't feel we need to start one, so the lack of fan fare makes perfect sense. Looking back on the past few Easters it's actually quite amusing. For one I was in Hawaii with Bear. We had breakfast at BK, climbed Diamond Head then had dinner at TGI Fridays. For another it was McDonalds with Monie. And last year was with Brad's odd family. So there are always Easter stories at least.
I usually do the Christmas party, Monie hosts "Friendsgiving", Jill and Dan have Halloween and, in recent years, New Years. There is the Irish bar for Cinco de Mayo and the Mexican one for St. Patty's Day. But nothing for Easter. I am very lucky to be adopted by different friends and their families for the holidays, which is just wonderful, but I usually have a little pang of sadness because I'm not with my mom and dad. Easter has become the holiday I am most likely to just stay home, and I wonder if it's not because it seems to be the most family oriented day for us.
As I think on it, not all of us celebrate Easter, and I honestly have never heard of an Easter party and don't feel we need to start one, so the lack of fan fare makes perfect sense. Looking back on the past few Easters it's actually quite amusing. For one I was in Hawaii with Bear. We had breakfast at BK, climbed Diamond Head then had dinner at TGI Fridays. For another it was McDonalds with Monie. And last year was with Brad's odd family. So there are always Easter stories at least.

1 Comments:
At 3:25 PM,
Monika Kruemmling said…
maybe we should have an egg-centric party... I could deep fry them! no, I guess that trick doesn't work for every occasion. we could hide them... but not indoors lest we never find some. we could have a weird scavenger hunt - go forth and bring me lawn ornaments! well, in lieu of all that, my family continues to ask for you, so Easter would be a lovely day for you to come home with me, if someone has not spoken for you already... in which case the rats will bite them. and I am always, always, always up for post-holiday movies. what is it about family holidays that make me want to get away and go to the movies afterwards? love you!
Post a Comment
<< Home