Bear Necessities

Monday, March 24, 2008

Nondenominational Springtime Fun

Easter...

Of all the holidays this is the one where I miss my parents. I've decided it is because for the other holidays there is some gathering of friends and so I am surrounded by the people I love, my family though not by blood. Easter is one of the few holidays that is very much still a religious creature. Some may go to church, some may not, but there is generally a meal with family that is a little more special than the everyday. But I've never heard of an "Easter Party" and I've no idea what you would do at one. And after all, it is a celebration of a resurrection. A joyous occasion to be sure, but not really one to raise the roof on.

Anyhow, Easter is usually very quiet for me, and it is quiet by choice. I stubbornly indulge in the "if I can't be with my family I don't want to be with anyone's" feeling...which I will shamefully admit has lead to Easter dinner at McDonald's on one occasion. A few years ago I gave in to the request that I join the boy I was dating and his family for Easter...ug. It was a long day of being stared at. I didn't know until I was on my way there that the family doesn't normally get together for Easter...they were making an excuse to gather just to check me out. Oh that was fun! Add in the whole Irish vs English debates and it was quite the lively day. Though I will admit that instead of just missing my family I was definitely more appreciative of them!

Last Easter Bill came over and I made dinner. Now that was a quiet day. If memory serves we joined Monie later for a movie. This was nice and low key.

This year the Kruemmlings offered to adopt me as they so sweetly often do for holidays, but I could happily say I had other plans. Frank and I spent the day relaxing and watching movies (I made him watch Easter specials...hee hee) and then had a yummy dinner. Between the wonderful company and knowing I would see my parents in less than 2 weeks I have to say it was the best Easter I've had since 2000...and I was in Hawaii for that one-who can be sad in Hawaii?

I hope you all had happy Easters or nice non-specific springtime celebrations!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home