The year in review
Tomorrow I turn 32. It’s been quite a year. Last year at this time I was preparing to have a BBQ to celebrate my birthday, but more importantly to thank all the wonderful people in my life. My husband had moved out, my marriage had ended and thanks to these great friends I hadn’t lost my mind or killed anyone…not that I didn’t want to at times. And not that anyone would have blamed me once everything came to light.
31 was a year of revelations, about the life I thought I wanted and the life I was starting. I started dating again, and oh the adventures that awaited me. Boring Guy, History Boy, Bob, Jersey Boy, Comic Guy, Sick Bastard, Private Detective Guy, Houdini…and others I’ve mercifully forgotten. You taught me I can make small talk and to take even the worst date as learning experience and possible stand up routine. Lew and John…thank you for reminding me I am a vibrant, intelligent and interesting woman with a lot to offer. Brad…you taught me that a bad boyfriend doesn’t mean a bad person…just poor short term memory and etiquette. And of course, PS for caring like you did and teaching me that I’m not going to settle…and that yes, some people just seem destined to cry a lot in this life. But I realized along the way that I don’t have to be attached to someone to be happy. It’s nice to have someone to curl up with, but at the end of the day I like to have my space.
At 30 I was looking for “forever,” at 31 it was “for now” and I think 32 will be “try to keep up.”
More importantly, I know I’m strong and I can take care of myself. And on those rare occasions that I can’t I know there are people who love me enough to help. I am stubborn and independent, compassionate and loving, and I will still trust until I’m given a reason not to. Those are the things that have always been part of me and I am very happy to say did not change in the past year. But now I can use power tools!
So bring on 32! I have a feeling it’s going to be a great year…of course that could just be because I have four gentlemen who want to take me out for my birthday…but I tend to think it has more to do with having dinner tonight with the people I love most in this world.
Yup…it’s going to be a good year.
31 was a year of revelations, about the life I thought I wanted and the life I was starting. I started dating again, and oh the adventures that awaited me. Boring Guy, History Boy, Bob, Jersey Boy, Comic Guy, Sick Bastard, Private Detective Guy, Houdini…and others I’ve mercifully forgotten. You taught me I can make small talk and to take even the worst date as learning experience and possible stand up routine. Lew and John…thank you for reminding me I am a vibrant, intelligent and interesting woman with a lot to offer. Brad…you taught me that a bad boyfriend doesn’t mean a bad person…just poor short term memory and etiquette. And of course, PS for caring like you did and teaching me that I’m not going to settle…and that yes, some people just seem destined to cry a lot in this life. But I realized along the way that I don’t have to be attached to someone to be happy. It’s nice to have someone to curl up with, but at the end of the day I like to have my space.
At 30 I was looking for “forever,” at 31 it was “for now” and I think 32 will be “try to keep up.”
More importantly, I know I’m strong and I can take care of myself. And on those rare occasions that I can’t I know there are people who love me enough to help. I am stubborn and independent, compassionate and loving, and I will still trust until I’m given a reason not to. Those are the things that have always been part of me and I am very happy to say did not change in the past year. But now I can use power tools!
So bring on 32! I have a feeling it’s going to be a great year…of course that could just be because I have four gentlemen who want to take me out for my birthday…but I tend to think it has more to do with having dinner tonight with the people I love most in this world.
Yup…it’s going to be a good year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home