Bear Necessities

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Hero

Monie is my hero for many reasons, but tonight she added "teaching by example" to the list of things I love about her.

This summer Monie's truck got a flat tire while we were out. I helped by reading her the instructions from her owner's manual.

So tonight, as left the rabbit shelter, I had a tire decide to commit suicide. I pulled into a parking lot and did the first thing that comes to mind when things mechanical go FUBAR...I called Monie, who headed to my rescue.

While I waited I decided to be productive. I did what Monie did: I pulled out the manual. Initially I thought if I could get the temp tire prepped and the jack assembled we'd be ahead of the game. Well, I did manage to get the tire out and the jack put together, though getting that damn wrench detached from the jack was frustrating. I doubted I could get the lugnuts off, but I figured I could get the jack in place...then what the heck, let me try the lugnuts.

Doing just what I'd seen Monie do (stepping on the wrench handle) I did loosen the nuts! Manual says I should jack up the car now...I'm too old to sit on cold asphalt that long. Of course, it would have been shorter had I realized the wrench sort of ratcheted, ah well.

By the time Monie got there I'd actually managed to change the tire. She tightened the nuts a little more for me and pronounced my car drivable until tomorrow when I get the new tire. And instead of being peeved that she'd gone out of her way only to have me do the thing myself, I think she was proud of me. And I for one wouldn't have been too keen on driving the car without her approval.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home