Bear Necessities

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Fun with Fellow Shoppers

As I alluded to yesterday, I had some fun with contraception shopping Saturday. Here's my issue: Because of the blood clots I am now no longer a candidate for hormone based contraception. There are a lot of other options out there, so I was doing some investigating. I have an appointment with my gynecologist this week to discuss what is best, but I've been intrigued with the female condom (I like being in control of the protection, what can I say).

So I was in the Giant...I found the Trojan Elexa line which, aside for packaging, I don't see why it is designed for women. They are just regular condoms with a more feminine spin. Yipee. Next stop, CVS. Okay, I finally see contraceptive gel, but there is a very uncomfortable looking middle aged man standing in front of the condoms. Now, if it were a matter of "grab and go" I would have just excused myself, taken what I wanted and moved along. Sadly for him, I was reading labels. The closer I got to him the more fidgety he got. I didn't have all day to wait for him to make a choice, and it was looking like he was waiting for me to go before he did. Of course what I wanted to see was on the bottom shelf, so finally I just kneeled down and started reading the box, right next to him. This was apparently too much and he fled the "family planning" isle. Too funny. But once again, no female condoms.

On to Eckard where I know I've seen them...and once again was confronted by the Elexa line which was located in the feminine isle along with pads, pregnancy tests, menopause tests...and male fertility tests, go figure. I moved up the isle and found the lair of contraceptives. Literally like a cave of prophylactics! I even found the elusive "contraceptive film"-sort of like a fruit roll-up for sex (minus the flavor of course). When I was in college we discussed this particularly uncomfortable to use item and I'd never actually seen it marketed. I immediately looked around for the discontinued Today Sponge so I could judge just how old this stuff was. No sign of it, so I'm guessing it was fairly current. But still no female condom.

I've decided they are the plastic version of Big Foot, often talked about but rarely seen. I did find them on the internet (of course) and considering they look a lot like a pop up trash bag I have declared my curiosity extinguished.

Wheee! See? Contraception can be fun!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Monika Kruemmling said…

    I was at Good Vibrations this weekend and they have them there - sorry, I should have picked them up for you! but they do have them at Condom Kingdom on South St... I can take you or just go get some for you. evidently the good part about them is they come with great lube.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    That's okay hon...I did some research and decided I wasn't that thrilled with the application process. Plus they remind me of the connection tube to Magneto's cell in X-men 2...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home