Bear Necessities

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Grrr

You know, I don't expect a lot out of Saturdays, maybe to sleep in and have a little fun, but that's about it.

Ha ha ha ha...at least this Saturday.

Here is how it was supposed to go:

Sleep in
Arrange the den
Clean up a bit
Grab dinner and a movie with Bill

Here is what actually happened:

I knew it would be interesting when I read the notice that my complex would be without power from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM. So I set my phone to forward to my cell and set my alarm for 8, I needed to do a few things while I still had power. Since I have electric heat this seemed like a good morning for running errands. I popped out to the new little Giant. Since the folks at the shelter had been asking to see me and I needed to drop off some papers I decided to head over and see the bunnies this morning. Oh there are two adorable new foster bunnies, one looks just like my Arthur. After getting pooped on by Briar because he was so happy to be out, I cleaned up and hit the road, managing to escape without a new bunny.

Next stop, Greg and Aly to return the shower bench. By the time I got there Greg and Julia were out at BJs and Aly was home alone. She apparently has a highly contagious stomach virus and refused to let me in. I left the bench on their porch then left Greg a message about his wife quarantining herself.

I stopped at CVS, deftly avoiding girl scouts both coming and going. I was on a quest for contraceptives that deserves a post of its own. I also stopped at the Eckerd on the way home. I managed to make a middle aged man feel very uncomfortable as I read labels in the "family planning" isle.

Finally I was home, unpacked the groceries and got some cleaning done. All good. It was getting close to 4 and I was expecting Bill around 4:30 so I was finishing getting myself ready when the phone rang. It was my mother.

I love my mom. She's an interesting and intelligent creature. Years ago (I was in college) she found a loop hole in a coupon for Chicklets gum and a store promotion. I think I finally finished the last of it last year. But that's mom, what early gunslingers could do with firearms she can do with coupons. This has garnered her a lot of respect from me and my friends over the years. So when Dad told me earlier this week that she managed to get a massive amount of cheese for very little money due to an ad misprint I thought it was great. He went on to tell me that before the cashier would ring her up he called the store manager to verify the sale. He let my mom get her cheese, then put up a sign about the misprint. I then made the mistake of making a joke about mom spoiling it for everyone else...

So back to today when Mom calls. She's mad, either at Dad or me, she hasn't decided. She called to "set the record straight about the cheese". I had no idea what she was talking about. She finally jogged my memory and now it was my turn to be indignant. I told her that I was making a joke, and didn't mean any insult, but I also didn't feel I had any reason to apologize or that she had any reason to be mad. We worked it out, but I realized later that it was the first time I've ever calmly stood up to my mother and told her she was wrong. And she backed down. Very interesting.

But then Bill arrived and we had a lovely dinner followed by seeing "Hannibal Rising." You know, it saved my Saturday. And the movie? Very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home