Adventure!
So Friday I was going to have coffee with Lydia, but Ralph surprised her with an evening out so we postponed. Then Jill wanted to go shopping...but ended up heading out of town with Dan so we postponed. This seemed like the universe telling me to do a Friday errand I had been putting off, so I did.
I drove down Main Street in Norristown, found a pawn shop and hocked my wedding and engagement rings! I feel this was a fitting epitaph to a short marriage. And it's a great story...
I walked into the lottery/jewelry/betting shop (and shoe repair for all I know) and went to the little jewelry counter where the clerk was putting on her lipstick in the mirror behind the display. She greeted me from the mirror, finished applying her makeup then apologized for the odd greeting-she didn't want to turn around with one lip done. Fine by me.
I presented her with my rings, she let me know they could only give me a price for the gold and I was fine with that since I'd already learned that no one around really buys diamonds (and I don't think these were particularly good grade anyhow). She gave me a price and said she knew I'd paid more originally, which I countered with "I didn't pay anything!" We had a laugh at that one and she asked how long I'd been married, then, if I didn't mind her asking, what happened.
I told her my ex just had another life he wanted and that didn't include me, you can't make someone stay if they don't want to. She gave this some thought, then said it was the best advice she'd heard. She was in the middle of a divorce herself, in fact the guy who had wandered over a few minutes before was her husband. They are trying to stay friendly as they have a house and car together and need to get that settled. I told her the only things I know about divorce:
1) Someone has to be the crazy one, don't let it be you.
2) Handle things with all the grace you can, the universe does payback much better than we do.
3) Some things weren't meant to be, but that just means better things are ahead.
We wished each other luck and I headed on my merry way...I got about 15 minutes away when I realized I forgot my driver's license! So back I went. She was relieved to see me, and her husband was back. I just shook my head...been there!
And what did I do with the money you ask? Why, I went shopping!
I drove down Main Street in Norristown, found a pawn shop and hocked my wedding and engagement rings! I feel this was a fitting epitaph to a short marriage. And it's a great story...
I walked into the lottery/jewelry/betting shop (and shoe repair for all I know) and went to the little jewelry counter where the clerk was putting on her lipstick in the mirror behind the display. She greeted me from the mirror, finished applying her makeup then apologized for the odd greeting-she didn't want to turn around with one lip done. Fine by me.
I presented her with my rings, she let me know they could only give me a price for the gold and I was fine with that since I'd already learned that no one around really buys diamonds (and I don't think these were particularly good grade anyhow). She gave me a price and said she knew I'd paid more originally, which I countered with "I didn't pay anything!" We had a laugh at that one and she asked how long I'd been married, then, if I didn't mind her asking, what happened.
I told her my ex just had another life he wanted and that didn't include me, you can't make someone stay if they don't want to. She gave this some thought, then said it was the best advice she'd heard. She was in the middle of a divorce herself, in fact the guy who had wandered over a few minutes before was her husband. They are trying to stay friendly as they have a house and car together and need to get that settled. I told her the only things I know about divorce:
1) Someone has to be the crazy one, don't let it be you.
2) Handle things with all the grace you can, the universe does payback much better than we do.
3) Some things weren't meant to be, but that just means better things are ahead.
We wished each other luck and I headed on my merry way...I got about 15 minutes away when I realized I forgot my driver's license! So back I went. She was relieved to see me, and her husband was back. I just shook my head...been there!
And what did I do with the money you ask? Why, I went shopping!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home