Bear Necessities

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Hummy Day

It is Wednesday, and I just realized I haven't had coffee since Sunday night. Odd for me, but not a bad thing. Aside from a late start this morning the day hums along. Connie has stopped pledging her loyalty to the ladies room and my boss can almost hear again. All good things.

I slept through the night last night, finally. Sunday and Monday nights were fitful and more like napping off and on. There were a variety of reasons. Once up and moving this morning it was slow going, and as I reached my car there was a black and white kitten sitting in front of it. The little thing looked young, but not too young to be away from Mom. It seemed well cared for, though not particularly friendly so I decided it must be some one's and left it be. After all, what would I do with it?

So last night was dinner and a shoe hunt with Monie. We came back empty handed so we shall form another party and try again later in the week. Tonight is a movie in the city that may loosely be termed a date. I'll know more if I survive...maybe. I'm finding these things less easy to recognize lately.

Monie and I were discussing how just about everyone in our dating pools seem to have "issues". A few years ago this would mean a bad break up, bad relationship with parents, fear of flying...now it's PTSD, anger, emotional unavailability, wrong number of body parts, codependency and mental illness (no, this isn't true of everyone I've met, just a disturbing chunk of them). Is it a factor of damage collected over time, or are just the bent and dent folks left? And does that mean we too are this damaged? I like to think not. I may not be objective about me, but I'm relatively solid that Monie and Connie are in pretty good shape.

At least I've had my marriage inoculation. Worst case scenario I'm retiring in Montana with the vicious dog, shotgun and a horse. I can live with being the cranky old lady on the hill. There's also the offer to be the crazy cat lady with Monie if she's available. See? I have options!

Interestingly someone was just lamenting that all his friends were married, and he was single and out of the loop. I gave this some thought and realized that yes, most of my friends are attached, but that doesn't mean they've put barbed wire around their homes and refuse to come out. We still see each other, perhaps not as frequently as we once did, but we are in touch and we manage to have a good bit of fun. It comes down to effort. Those of us who are unattached have an easier time making plans, as our schedules are more flexible. The key is making that effort to touch base and find time to see people. No, we aren't generally heading to a bar or going dancing (did we ever do that?), but there is a lot to be said for game night or sitting around with pizza and watching a movie. It may not be thrilling, but it is fun and I'll take it.

And next week my life may just be normal enough to practice what I'm preaching!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home