Bear Necessities

Monday, May 19, 2008

Kindness

Frank's dad should be out of surgery in half an hour or so. It's been a quiet night of waiting and while I wait I was pondering people.


Jill and I were making plans for a possible Tuesday sleep over. Frank is due back that night and depending on how he's feeling I may be in the city, so I told her if that was the case she was still welcome and I'd change the sheets on my bed. If I was home, well we'd just have to wrestle for the couch.


She's nearing the end of the school year and drama club rehearsals are keeping her late. Add to that Faire and Mad Mechanicals rehearsals and we've got one tired Jilly-Bean. Her response to my e-mail? She wanted to know if she could put his dad on the kids' prayer list. I was going to ask, but didn't have to.

As I went through my day I got updates from Frank on how things were going and kept my boss and Beverly posted (explaining why I was texting during work, which is normally a big no-no). As Bev was leaving for the day she asked what Frank's dad's name was, saying she'd say a prayer for him.


This is what religion should be. Not making someone bend to your ideals. Not "praying to save a soul". It's having your faith and caring about the people around you. I know some people might take offense at the offer of a prayer, saying it isn't their belief, perhaps thinking the person offering is trying to push their beliefs on them, but it doesn't have to be. Prayer is a way that Beverly and Jill (and her students) feel they can offer support and show they care. Here it is focusing positive energy toward someone they don't even know except through my stories. It is the kindest thing they can think to say and do, what they would want in my place. And I love them for it.

I guess what I'm saying is kindness comes in many forms. And today those thoughts and prayers really meant a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home