Bear Necessities

Sunday, July 06, 2008

OMG

I'm going to be freaked out by this for a while I fear.

Sunday was a nice day so Frank and I decided to go for a walk in Ft Washington State Park. We started at the hawk viewing platform to get a lay of the land. At the base of the platform is a bird garden: Flowers, bird feeder, bird bath...the norm. And of course there were lots of birds, a squirrel and even 2 chipmunks! As we watched nature frolic among the seed we noticed the squirrel watching a sparrow who was picking at seeds on the ground. Suddenly the squirrel ran at the bird. I assumed it was trying to run it off...boy was I wrong!

As we watched the squirrel pounced on the bird, killed it and sat there eating it from head to tail like it was a pumpkin seed! Freaky!!!!

Research, Jill and a naturalist from the park all agree that while squirrels will eat bird eggs and even dead flesh if there is nothing else available they are not hunters. I fear this is a new stage in squirrel evolution. Perhaps it was a wersquirrel. All I know is I'm no longer quite so comfortable with the ones living in my attic...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home