Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...
Okay, they merged right back again after they got around a tree, but still...
I am refreshed, relaxed and recharged after 4 days camping in Artemis PA. I have to say it was an amazing experience. I haven't been camping in the woods since before moving to this coast, and this was definitely a lot more fun (hey, I didn't have to go potty behind a tree). And it reaffirmed my preference for non-sand based camping.
Wednesday dawned bright and beautiful and after packing up my car I headed into the city to get Frank and his gear. Fortune smiled and I found a space at the loading dock so soon we were packed up and ready to roll. We stopped for brunch in Norristown then caught the turnpike. The directions 4 Quarters Farm gives are from route 70, so a quick look at the map told me I could take the turnpike to I-81, catch rte 30 in Chambersburg and pick up 70 from there. How fun! I could drive past Shippensburg!
So we zipped along, me pointing out where I used to work, my first apartment which was only $315 a month. I told stories of the duck pond and soon we were on rte 30 heading through Chambersburg. Now I got to point out the Taco Bell where you could order pot at the drive thru, we passed Chuck's old apartment. An interesting drive down memory lane.
So there we are puttering down 30...and up 30. Up and up and up...because I forgot that 30 goes over the mountains that the turnpike cuts through. Doh! It was a pretty drive, if a long one. We got to Artemis about 6:30 and then hiked down to the campsite to set up the tent. We were unsure how smoothly this would go, as Frank had never set it up in the daylight, but it went up without a hitch.
After we had shelter we then went to scavenge for food. The nice folks at the Starving Artist Cafe made us plates even though they were closing so we sat down to eat...well, beggars can't be choosers. After composting the leftovers and dunking the plates we heard the call to the opening ceremony so unloading the car was postponed as we all gathered at the fire circle to start the festival.
Soon enough the car was unpacked and returned to the parking area. We wandered around a bit, but it had been a long day so we decided to turn in. I had been feeling a little silly about the 2 extra blankets I packed, but they came in handy as Wednesday night was freezing! In the morning some adjustments were made to sleeping arrangements and they served us quite well for the rest of the trip.
Thursday was a loose day, but saw the first adventure: The outdoor shower. Now that was interesting. It reminded me of Lydia not wearing her glasses in the Prince Street lower bathroom so she couldn't see the scary parts. The scary parts in this case were various hairballs and twigs, nothing too bad.
It wasn't until we were wandering back to the tent from brunch that I got to take in the lower campground: Walking down that hill toward it was like entering a sprawled village full of wonders. The geek in me can come closest to describing it by having you imagine a combination of the Wookie Tree and the Ewok Village. It was like some little pocket of fantasy that only appeared once a year. The vibe was kind, non-judgemental and so...benevolent. And I had a wonderful guide and companion which made it as perfect as I'd ever want anything to be.
I admit to feeling a little like an anthropologist at times, since I was so new to this gathering, but I always felt at home and accepted. Like this was what a eutopia should be: Simple, happy, nurturing. And for those of you who were generous enough to donate money to help Ananda last Christmas she was there, and she looks great. She's quite the little person.
The main stage didn't start until Friday night, so people were wandering around, setting up and just generally getting used to being away from the rush of life. We poked around, checking out art and vendors, finding folks we knew and stopping in to the side stage area to hear Pat and Mel spin. The Coffee Dragon (24 hour coffee...whoo hoo!) hadn't started yet so we treated ourselves to some chai tea and later I picked up a hummus wrap (the absolute best thing I ate the whole trip!). Later in our wanderings Jamie tagged us to come see something he and Peter put together. I really can't come close to describing it. Music, light, images...rather fascinating. Time slipped by and soon it was Friday.
The day started with yoga for Frank and hogging the sleeping bags for me. Hey, we all know I am a sleepy creature! This is where things blur together. Between Friday and Saturday there were discussions of "Star People" (which will get it's own post), the future of humanity, a canceled Platonic People Puddle, Justin flashed me, hooping, drumming and a fantastic performance by Anand and Kilowatts. Friday the evening the main stage opened with a welcoming ceremony and then there was much dancing to be had. I have to admit, I've become quite a fan of costumes...
After a bit Frank and I wandered to the fire circle where there was usually drumming, but none when we got there. So Frank got his drum and a bottle of mead and we played by the fire for a bit. I made a friend from Madagascar and Frank saved me from him, my hero! After a bit more dancing I decided to call it a night, though my hero danced on. I headed back to camp, showered with a praying mantis and then snuggled into bed, soon realizing wet hair in a tent is uncomfortable.
Saturday was quite the hummy day with me looking forward to staying up and dancing. Frank headed to a hooping workshop and I read for a bit. Oh so nice to read in the sun! He got back around 4 not feeling well and decided to lay down. At 7 I asked if he wanted dinner then felt for a fever when he said no. He was warm and slept on. I popped out to take some pictures with Bear Bear (who will have his own post about the trip) then went up to the covered stage to watch Archedream do there blacklight theatre. That was just unreal! Like kabuki, but glowie!
I wandered for a bit then headed back to check on Frank and snuggle in. And that is where I choose to say the vacation ended. Sunday was ugly, so it doesn't count! What I will say is that there are no words for how great this vacation was, or how much I needed it but didn't know it. It was an experience I am eager to repeat.
I am refreshed, relaxed and recharged after 4 days camping in Artemis PA. I have to say it was an amazing experience. I haven't been camping in the woods since before moving to this coast, and this was definitely a lot more fun (hey, I didn't have to go potty behind a tree). And it reaffirmed my preference for non-sand based camping.
Wednesday dawned bright and beautiful and after packing up my car I headed into the city to get Frank and his gear. Fortune smiled and I found a space at the loading dock so soon we were packed up and ready to roll. We stopped for brunch in Norristown then caught the turnpike. The directions 4 Quarters Farm gives are from route 70, so a quick look at the map told me I could take the turnpike to I-81, catch rte 30 in Chambersburg and pick up 70 from there. How fun! I could drive past Shippensburg!
So we zipped along, me pointing out where I used to work, my first apartment which was only $315 a month. I told stories of the duck pond and soon we were on rte 30 heading through Chambersburg. Now I got to point out the Taco Bell where you could order pot at the drive thru, we passed Chuck's old apartment. An interesting drive down memory lane.
So there we are puttering down 30...and up 30. Up and up and up...because I forgot that 30 goes over the mountains that the turnpike cuts through. Doh! It was a pretty drive, if a long one. We got to Artemis about 6:30 and then hiked down to the campsite to set up the tent. We were unsure how smoothly this would go, as Frank had never set it up in the daylight, but it went up without a hitch.
After we had shelter we then went to scavenge for food. The nice folks at the Starving Artist Cafe made us plates even though they were closing so we sat down to eat...well, beggars can't be choosers. After composting the leftovers and dunking the plates we heard the call to the opening ceremony so unloading the car was postponed as we all gathered at the fire circle to start the festival.
Soon enough the car was unpacked and returned to the parking area. We wandered around a bit, but it had been a long day so we decided to turn in. I had been feeling a little silly about the 2 extra blankets I packed, but they came in handy as Wednesday night was freezing! In the morning some adjustments were made to sleeping arrangements and they served us quite well for the rest of the trip.
Thursday was a loose day, but saw the first adventure: The outdoor shower. Now that was interesting. It reminded me of Lydia not wearing her glasses in the Prince Street lower bathroom so she couldn't see the scary parts. The scary parts in this case were various hairballs and twigs, nothing too bad.
It wasn't until we were wandering back to the tent from brunch that I got to take in the lower campground: Walking down that hill toward it was like entering a sprawled village full of wonders. The geek in me can come closest to describing it by having you imagine a combination of the Wookie Tree and the Ewok Village. It was like some little pocket of fantasy that only appeared once a year. The vibe was kind, non-judgemental and so...benevolent. And I had a wonderful guide and companion which made it as perfect as I'd ever want anything to be.
I admit to feeling a little like an anthropologist at times, since I was so new to this gathering, but I always felt at home and accepted. Like this was what a eutopia should be: Simple, happy, nurturing. And for those of you who were generous enough to donate money to help Ananda last Christmas she was there, and she looks great. She's quite the little person.
The main stage didn't start until Friday night, so people were wandering around, setting up and just generally getting used to being away from the rush of life. We poked around, checking out art and vendors, finding folks we knew and stopping in to the side stage area to hear Pat and Mel spin. The Coffee Dragon (24 hour coffee...whoo hoo!) hadn't started yet so we treated ourselves to some chai tea and later I picked up a hummus wrap (the absolute best thing I ate the whole trip!). Later in our wanderings Jamie tagged us to come see something he and Peter put together. I really can't come close to describing it. Music, light, images...rather fascinating. Time slipped by and soon it was Friday.
The day started with yoga for Frank and hogging the sleeping bags for me. Hey, we all know I am a sleepy creature! This is where things blur together. Between Friday and Saturday there were discussions of "Star People" (which will get it's own post), the future of humanity, a canceled Platonic People Puddle, Justin flashed me, hooping, drumming and a fantastic performance by Anand and Kilowatts. Friday the evening the main stage opened with a welcoming ceremony and then there was much dancing to be had. I have to admit, I've become quite a fan of costumes...
After a bit Frank and I wandered to the fire circle where there was usually drumming, but none when we got there. So Frank got his drum and a bottle of mead and we played by the fire for a bit. I made a friend from Madagascar and Frank saved me from him, my hero! After a bit more dancing I decided to call it a night, though my hero danced on. I headed back to camp, showered with a praying mantis and then snuggled into bed, soon realizing wet hair in a tent is uncomfortable.
Saturday was quite the hummy day with me looking forward to staying up and dancing. Frank headed to a hooping workshop and I read for a bit. Oh so nice to read in the sun! He got back around 4 not feeling well and decided to lay down. At 7 I asked if he wanted dinner then felt for a fever when he said no. He was warm and slept on. I popped out to take some pictures with Bear Bear (who will have his own post about the trip) then went up to the covered stage to watch Archedream do there blacklight theatre. That was just unreal! Like kabuki, but glowie!
I wandered for a bit then headed back to check on Frank and snuggle in. And that is where I choose to say the vacation ended. Sunday was ugly, so it doesn't count! What I will say is that there are no words for how great this vacation was, or how much I needed it but didn't know it. It was an experience I am eager to repeat.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home