Bear Necessities

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Love Mediterranean Style

Friday was a much looked forward to night out with my sweetie. We decided to meet in the city and check out the Art Museum's Art After 5 program. Since it was the first Friday of the Month it was also International Night. Special cultures for the evening were Turkish and Greek. The grand hall of the museum was filled with tables, a stage area was set up and the staircase was filled with people sitting and enjoying the music.

We grabbed drinks at the bar and found a spot on the bottom step to sit and listen to Animus do their thing. They seemed to be a neo-traditional Greek group. After a while dancing broke out, what I will call Greek line dancing only because they were holding hands in a line. Frank got swept up in the line and in true "Farmer in the Del" fashion I was taken along too.

And that would be how I found myself in a line of Greek women and 2 men trying to follow steps that kept changing and not let my end of the line turn into a game of crack the whip. It was actually quite fun and I laughed the entire time. At one point a woman popped into the line between Frank and I saying she just had to try this. When I made my "crack the whip" joke she said, "It looks just like the horah! Just do the horah!" I didn't have the heart to tell her I had no idea how to do that either. But it was still very much fun and I'm happy I got the chance to do it. Frank tends to make me a bit braver.

After the museum closed we wandered in search of food and decided to continue the evening in the Greek style. We ended up at Zorba's, as did a few of our fellow dancers. It really was a lovely evening and I suggest both Art After 5 and Zorba's to anyone who's feeling a like an evening of something different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home