Bear Necessities

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Playa Del Fuego

"Beach of Fire"

Well, it wasn't really a beach, but a camping park, but there was a whole lot of fire!

Friday afternoon Frank and I loaded up the car and headed to Townsend DE to set up camp and enjoy the events of Playa del Fuego, Delaware's baby Burning Man. We'd spent the last two Sundays helping Camp Bangarang (sister camp to arThou, the one we were camping with) build a funky ship for the event so we were psyched to see it put together.

We got there a little before 5 to find that their camping area was full and we were to start filling in an annexed area. At first I was a little bummed about this, but once we were joined by Mel and Pat it wasn't a big deal. We named it The Old People's Home/Stepchild Area and decided not to defect to PEX's camp. As it turned out it was nice to have a quiet spot to unwind.

Once the tent was pitched, and Mel and Pat's tent was up, we started the adventure known as dinner. We'd decided to try camping food ("just add water!") and had 2 ways to make it. One was army style with saltwater and a reactive metal, the other was sterno. This is when I started thinking of us as camp chemical. It was fun figuring everything out though. Dinner was fine for what it was and then we headed out to see who was out and about. First we helped set up Mike's tent. We were becoming pros!

We wandered to the boat where Pat was spinning and danced a bit, Frank took a spin on the stripper pole. Mel was helping Neff with deco at the chill dome so we got to see the orange fur laid out. It actually worked out pretty well. No fur for Sex-O-Dome though, and that was probably best. We caught up with Jen and Adam, a nice surprise and after some wicked fun on the trampoline made our way back to camp to call it a night.

The day had been hot but the night was cold! OMG! Morning dawned still chilly and dew filled. Frank basically got peed on by the tent overhang when he went outside. We had a breakfast of poptarts and Frank started coffee. Adolphe joined us with his grill and started whipping up a feast. Coffee took a can and a half of sterno, which was funny to a point. Mel and I broke ranks and traded jokes for coffee at the little cafe set up at the pavillion.

Unfortunately I started to not feel great later in the afternoon, but it passed enough for me to enjoy the rest of the day. We were gifted cookies as we wandered, saw some sights then headed back to camp to make chili for the potluck. And of course get dressed for the Pirate Booty Ball. We walked the chili over to the other campers then helped break up firewood (okay, Frank broke it up and I carried it over to the burn barrel). Soon it was time for the pony to burn.

An explanation: At Burning Man they set a giant wooden man on fire. At Playa del Fuego they light up a wooden pony. But this year it was a wooden seahorse, which was kinda cool.

It's amazing how fast that much wood can burn. And quite warm. Once the seahorse had fallen we grabbed jackets and did some wandering and dancing, ending up crashing in the chill dome before we decided to head back to the tent.

In the morning I was still feeling under the weather so I slept in while Frank hung out with Mel, Pat and Adolphe. Frank was once again my hero by preventing a small dog from wandering into our tent while I slept. I woke up to him shooing it away. Once I was up and dressed I felt a good bit better, but we still decided to call it a weekend. We packed up camp and headed home where there were showers and general collapsing.

All in all it was fun, but not quite what I expected. If you want to see pictures check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/31411487@N03/sets/72157608032221537/detail/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home