Bear Necessities

Thursday, September 11, 2008

In a Pigs Eye!

Okay, this one will likely qualify as a rant. Before I tear into this let me say that I know relatively little about Sarah Palin, though I am tired of guys telling me she's hot and I'm tired of hearing her say she's a hockey mom. That said, the following has nothing to do with her.

Barack Obama made a statement about how McCain was talking about change but it was just the same old policies shined up a bit. To be colorful he used an idiom, one I have always liked actually. One he had used in the past, as had Mr. McCain. He said you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. I happen to think he's right on both the pig and the policies, but that is my opinion. Of course if you actually manage to get lipstick on a pig...never mind.

The next day came the righteously indignant demand from the McCain campaign that he apologize for calling Ms. Palin a pig.

Hello, Obama didn't say anything about Ms. Palin, but you just did! Is their VP choice so flimsy that they have to tilt at imagined insults? And this was after the statement that she wouldn't be made available for interview until the press learned to behave themselves! I'm sorry, but man or woman if you can't hold your own in an interview how are you going to handle congress, foreign politics or even just meeting with domestic groups? I refuse to believe that Ms. Palin is this delicate and I really feel that the campaign managers are doing her and the campaign a disservice.

More and more I get the distinct impression that John McCain has no control over the people running the "straight talk express" or whatever the hell he calls it these days. Whether this is true or not, it isn't a good impression to be making and if he isn't careful it isn't going to be his politics that sink him but his employees.

But after this whole pig lipstick thing I have to wonder...if she boards a plane does that mean all those things that weren't going to happen until pigs fly are going to become a reality?

Will someone try to make a silk purse out of one of her ears?

If you eat too much are you now making a Palin of yourself?

Come on people. We use idioms to color our speech and make it more memorable, slightly humorous. What has been said in the past by both candidates was a criticism of policy, not an attack of character, personal hygene or physical appearance. Palin herself has described the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull as that of the hockey mom wearing lipstick. A woman who can make that joke shouldn't jump to the conclusion that any reference to lipstick is about her, and I doubt she does.

But if I were her I would so smack the guy who came up with that apology demand. 'Cause dude, he just called her a pig.

Now I'm going to go see if they make special lipstick for pigs...I think PJ would look ravishing in pink!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home