Bear Necessities

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Quiet

I'm being reminded again of how quiet a space is when someone is missing. We notice it in the office when just one of us is out. It's just...quieter.

In August the apartment got a little quieter when Callie left. But then Frank moved in so it wasn't as noticeable. Sure, he doesn't try to trip me when I'm carrying heavy things up the stairs, but I'm kinda glad of that : ) Even though Miss Callie is in a good home now I still expect to see her head poke out the door when I come home some days, still expect to have to shove a leg in to push her back so I can get inside without her escaping. Eventually this will fade completely.

Then Frank went to Burning Man...and it was just the pig and I. Once again the place seemed a bit emptier, quieter. But soon enough he was home and the rooms were filled with laughter, stories and snuggling.

Now again the apartment seems quieter. Monday my little PJ passed over the rainbow bridge. Frank was wonderful. I came home to lots of hugs and he took very good care of me, which meant the world. I was sad, but this wasn't unexpected.

All things have a time, and his was passed. He was 5 or 6, a rescue pig. He had a good life and way more veggie snacks than he should have I'm sure. He put up with baths and having his nails clipped, even sitting in front of the hair dryer with a piece celery. It was a pretty plush gig by guinea pig standards I think.

Still, I came home last night and started to say hi to him as I always do when I get home, but there was just an empty corner, a cage cleaned and empty. No happy peeping, no frantic dash for the igloo just in case I was a hawk. This morning was much the same: I rounded the corner with "Good morning Pidget my Pidget" on my lips, only to remember he wasn't there.

This is the first time I've been without a pet since...wow, since just after I moved to Pennsylvania. It feels very odd. I know it won't be long before something furry once again graces the apartment, but right now my heart isn't in it.

So goodbye my Pidget...my wer-pig...my pig of many colors. You will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home