August Again
Yup, it's August again. I like August, even if it is really hot. I like the word, something about the big old "A" then the gusty bit at the end I guest. Even if it weren't my birthday month I'd still like it.
I've got a thing about birthdays. They are Important. With a capital "I". They give people like me license to lavish attention on the people I love and let them know how special they are and how lucky I am to have them in my life. That is on THEIR birthdays. My birthday isn't a big deal for me. Would I be sad if no one remembered? Oh most definitely. But I'm pretty much as happy with a card as with about anything else. I'm tickled people remember me.
I have had 3 absolutely epic birthdays in my adulthood: 22, 31, and 37 (I could be wrong on the age there, but I know what I did...lol). And all were very different, but had two important things in common: Laughter and people I love. And none of them were really about things. They were about time.
When I turned 22 I had just graduated college and was home for the summer looking for my first real job. I was working in a book store and my friend said we were spending the day together. Sadly, I had a one hour meeting I needed to go to. We had lunch, he took me to the meeting, picked me up and then we went to see Happy Gilmore. It was a beautiful, sunny day with my most favorite person in the whole world. We laughed, caught up, and even hung out with my parents a bit. It was a great day.
When I turned 31 I was just getting divorced. I met my nearest and dearest and their kids at the Elmwood Park Zoo and we spent the day playing in the sun and being...happy. Best part of the day? When my friend's son was actually happy to see me, because for the longest time seeing me meant his mom was going out, and that was not awesome in his mind.
37 was my Broadway show, and dinner at a restaurant that had every tequila you can imagine! The food was amazing, the company even better. It was a weekend of laughing and smiling...and really great conversation. I miss that. Book of Mormon is a great show, and if you let it, it will lead to some really interesting conversations after. For all this may sound like a "fancy" weekend, it never felt stiff or like it was "trying". It felt just as easy as the zoo because it fit.
And I think that is what I am realizing as 41 approaches. When things fit they are uncomplicated. I don't mean that they are always easy. There are "bumps" as my favorite playwright would say. Bumps may slow us down, but they don't stop us. But I like the uncomplicated right now. I get less of it than I would like sometimes, but that makes it even better.
I've got a thing about birthdays. They are Important. With a capital "I". They give people like me license to lavish attention on the people I love and let them know how special they are and how lucky I am to have them in my life. That is on THEIR birthdays. My birthday isn't a big deal for me. Would I be sad if no one remembered? Oh most definitely. But I'm pretty much as happy with a card as with about anything else. I'm tickled people remember me.
I have had 3 absolutely epic birthdays in my adulthood: 22, 31, and 37 (I could be wrong on the age there, but I know what I did...lol). And all were very different, but had two important things in common: Laughter and people I love. And none of them were really about things. They were about time.
When I turned 22 I had just graduated college and was home for the summer looking for my first real job. I was working in a book store and my friend said we were spending the day together. Sadly, I had a one hour meeting I needed to go to. We had lunch, he took me to the meeting, picked me up and then we went to see Happy Gilmore. It was a beautiful, sunny day with my most favorite person in the whole world. We laughed, caught up, and even hung out with my parents a bit. It was a great day.
When I turned 31 I was just getting divorced. I met my nearest and dearest and their kids at the Elmwood Park Zoo and we spent the day playing in the sun and being...happy. Best part of the day? When my friend's son was actually happy to see me, because for the longest time seeing me meant his mom was going out, and that was not awesome in his mind.
37 was my Broadway show, and dinner at a restaurant that had every tequila you can imagine! The food was amazing, the company even better. It was a weekend of laughing and smiling...and really great conversation. I miss that. Book of Mormon is a great show, and if you let it, it will lead to some really interesting conversations after. For all this may sound like a "fancy" weekend, it never felt stiff or like it was "trying". It felt just as easy as the zoo because it fit.
And I think that is what I am realizing as 41 approaches. When things fit they are uncomplicated. I don't mean that they are always easy. There are "bumps" as my favorite playwright would say. Bumps may slow us down, but they don't stop us. But I like the uncomplicated right now. I get less of it than I would like sometimes, but that makes it even better.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home