Cut Me a Switch, We are Going to the Woodshed
This could be filed under "Seriously?" Heck, a large part of my week could be filed here. For your consideration, 2 case files where a reality check seems in order, and perhaps a light beating.
Case #1: Paranoid Much?
My boss is not an unintelligent man, but he is a man under stress. He does not react well to stress. In fact, there are times when I can clearly imagine him in a chicken suit running in circles yelling "the sky is falling". My company does nothing to allay any paranoid fears, so I can't blame him too much when he come up with some of his more interesting ideas. The latest was just too much though.
We lease our office space. We are one of two tenants currently. A few weeks ago our leasing company sent an invitation to the whole building for a tenant appreciation breakfast, which would be held in the lobby. I thought, well isn't that nice. Apparently my boss started looking for hidden agendas.
The breakfast was today. Yesterday afternoon he asked if I'd heard any rumors about what was REALLY going on. Aside from free food? No, why? It seems at a previous company he worked for the company arranged for the landlord to have something similar and when everyone was out of the office they locked the doors and laid everyone off.
Problems with this theory:
1-My boss would have to be the one to lock the door
2-We have keys
3-It's in the lobby, we aren't going far and we aren't all going at the same time (some not at all)
The breakfast was simple but nice and no one locked the doors. He is off to worry about other things and I'm considering Prozac cookies.
Case #2- Uppity White People
This too involves the above mentioned FREE appreciation breakfast. Once the invitation went out one of my coworkers expressed displeasure that it was to be held in the lobby, not off site. Really? It's a breakfast buffet, for everyone in the building. Tell me, how would everyone be able to participate if they had to leave work to do so? Never mind the added cost. He mentioned it a few times.
When I hear "breakfast buffet in the lobby" I think yogurt, fruit, bagels, muffins, juice. When I came in this morning all that was present along with french toast and granola and I don't know what else. It looked very nice.
Another employee (first employee's manager actually who admonished him for the above comments at one point) has passed by me several times now making comments about how bad the breakfast was. The free breakfast. From our landlords. Where's my whooping stick?
Case #1: Paranoid Much?
My boss is not an unintelligent man, but he is a man under stress. He does not react well to stress. In fact, there are times when I can clearly imagine him in a chicken suit running in circles yelling "the sky is falling". My company does nothing to allay any paranoid fears, so I can't blame him too much when he come up with some of his more interesting ideas. The latest was just too much though.
We lease our office space. We are one of two tenants currently. A few weeks ago our leasing company sent an invitation to the whole building for a tenant appreciation breakfast, which would be held in the lobby. I thought, well isn't that nice. Apparently my boss started looking for hidden agendas.
The breakfast was today. Yesterday afternoon he asked if I'd heard any rumors about what was REALLY going on. Aside from free food? No, why? It seems at a previous company he worked for the company arranged for the landlord to have something similar and when everyone was out of the office they locked the doors and laid everyone off.
Problems with this theory:
1-My boss would have to be the one to lock the door
2-We have keys
3-It's in the lobby, we aren't going far and we aren't all going at the same time (some not at all)
The breakfast was simple but nice and no one locked the doors. He is off to worry about other things and I'm considering Prozac cookies.
Case #2- Uppity White People
This too involves the above mentioned FREE appreciation breakfast. Once the invitation went out one of my coworkers expressed displeasure that it was to be held in the lobby, not off site. Really? It's a breakfast buffet, for everyone in the building. Tell me, how would everyone be able to participate if they had to leave work to do so? Never mind the added cost. He mentioned it a few times.
When I hear "breakfast buffet in the lobby" I think yogurt, fruit, bagels, muffins, juice. When I came in this morning all that was present along with french toast and granola and I don't know what else. It looked very nice.
Another employee (first employee's manager actually who admonished him for the above comments at one point) has passed by me several times now making comments about how bad the breakfast was. The free breakfast. From our landlords. Where's my whooping stick?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home