Bear Necessities

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

30 Minutes People, is it too much to ask?

I am entitled to an hour for lunch.  I take 30 minutes because I like to leave at 5.  I don't generally go out for lunch because it feels a little stressful.  I have to rush to where I'm going, eat then rush back to the office where I know I'll have at least one message, something will have broken and 10 people will be looking for me because they can't:
1) Find post it notes
2) Use the copier or fax machine
3) Find someone else
4) Tie there shoes (it could happen, don't think it won't!)

So I eat at my desk.  I usually read a book.  All in all, I feel I look very much like I'm at lunch.  This doesn't stop people from asking questions.  Usually prefaced with "Oh, you're having lunch..."  And as I am nice I will swallow, close my book and try to help.  Questions aren't a big deal.  But there are a few folks who have no problem walking up to me and asking me to DO things.  Things that will take me away from my desk, my lunch and eat away the rest of my lunch time.  Unlike them, I punch a time clock.  It looks weird if my lunch is taken in 5 minute increments over the course of 3 hours (not that I have time to clock out, so then I'd be over time for a lunch that never got eaten anyway).  Sigh.  But this is my job and it was my choice not to flee the building, so while annoying it isn't the end of the world.

What is starting to really bother me is one guy who every damn day practically comes up while I am happily trying to eat and read and insists on telling me stories.  Today it was about his experiences with jury duty the past few years.  Really?  I don't care.  I want to read my book.  You are on MY time.  And YOU are supposed to be at your desk working, not talking to me!  So where I would have actually gotten my whole 30 minutes today to read and eat, 20 minutes was swallowed up by this guy's yaking and then a VP needed help because the copier wouldn't work for him.  I almost made it...almost...

Tomorrow Julie is rescuing me and we are going to lunch.  For an hour.  Out of the building.  I can't wait.

And if you think I'm whining wait until I tell you about people asking me questions while I'm talking on the phone!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home