Bear Necessities

Thursday, August 04, 2011

Help! I Look Like a Corpse!

As 37 looms and I started actually taking care of my skin I decided to play with more of the samples that my friend who works in a cosmetic store gave me. In doing so I discovered I liked Bare Minerals. She had given me a sample of bareMinerals Pure Radiance All-Over Face Color which I found to be quite fun, and decided I wanted to try their foundation. With coupon in hand I went down to Ulta and found myself totally lost. What on earth is a mineral veil? Do I need that?


Giving myself to the tender mercies of the cosmetic counter girl, I look pathetic and ask for help. She was very nice. It turns out that the product my friend had recommended would not have been good for me at all (I’ve got pretty normal skin and bareMinerals Matte Foundation would have dried me out. My friend has oily skin and I think she forgets others don’t). And the mineral veil? Apparently it sets your “look”. Still not quite sure what that means. So I headed out with my purchases, excited to try something new. I even watched the how to video on YouTube!

The next day I applied the product as directed and it made my skin look even and relatively flawless, hid the dark circles too. Of course, I looked like I was made of wax or had perhaps died. Not so much the look I was going for. Perhaps I chose too light of a shade? It seemed to match well, but it didn’t look right. Perhaps I just wasn’t used to seeing myself without the redness and circles? Perhaps I was just clueless.

Back to the store I went (I’d used a trial size for my initial foray so the full size container was unopened). I found another unsuspecting cosmetics girl and explained the situation. She agreed I’d gotten the right shade, so I thought perhaps I was missing a step. She suggested bareMinerals Warmth All Over Face Color, and offered to show me how these things should be applied. Well there we discovered my problem. Apparently if you are going on stage or have some sort of hideous birthmark you apply the foundation the way they showed in the video. For everyday you dust it one like any other loose powder, then brush a little color on your temples and cheeks. It looked quite nice, natural and I’ve managed to reproduce the effect at home! Success!

I’ve also fallen in love with Pur Minerals Pur Intensity Gel Eyeliner. It goes on so even and light, without feeling like you are going to stab yourself in the eye with a pencil.

Of course, this does mean I can’t snooze as much in the morning, but the dog has to pee anyhow so it isn’t like I was really going to sleep for those 9 minutes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home