Conflicted
So they finally killed Osama Bin Laden. When I heard the news many thoughts ran through my head. Things like, how relevant was he now anyhow? I mean, the wars won't stop because he's gone. The insurgents won't stop fighting. It's a blow to their morale and a boost to ours, yes. Perhaps the families that have lost loved ones in fighting, on the planes or the towers will have a little closure. But does it change anything but approval numbers?
I was relieved he was killed. A trial would have been a madhouse, and a huge target for terrorism. And after Sadam's head popped off I think the world is a little camera shy about exicutions.
Perhaps they should send the body on a tour, like they did with James Brown. They could charge money to offset the budget deficit.
But of all the thoughts that ran through my head, one really surprised me. I found myself thinking of his family, his mother. No matter what has happened, he was still her son and losing a child is heart breaking. To have most of the world celebrating your child's death must be crushing. To not be able to openly grieve must seem so unfair. The world knows the terrorist, the fanatic organizer of devistating attacks. We don't know his first word, first steps. We didn't watch him grow. I assume since the family disowned him after he radicalized that she didn't approve of his actions, but no matter what they do, does a parent ever stop loving a child?
Who knows, maybe she is relieved that it is over, that he is no longer being hunted or hurting others. But I bet she's still sad, and even though it may not be popular and she'll never see this, I just want to say she has a right to be sad that her child died.
I was relieved he was killed. A trial would have been a madhouse, and a huge target for terrorism. And after Sadam's head popped off I think the world is a little camera shy about exicutions.
Perhaps they should send the body on a tour, like they did with James Brown. They could charge money to offset the budget deficit.
But of all the thoughts that ran through my head, one really surprised me. I found myself thinking of his family, his mother. No matter what has happened, he was still her son and losing a child is heart breaking. To have most of the world celebrating your child's death must be crushing. To not be able to openly grieve must seem so unfair. The world knows the terrorist, the fanatic organizer of devistating attacks. We don't know his first word, first steps. We didn't watch him grow. I assume since the family disowned him after he radicalized that she didn't approve of his actions, but no matter what they do, does a parent ever stop loving a child?
Who knows, maybe she is relieved that it is over, that he is no longer being hunted or hurting others. But I bet she's still sad, and even though it may not be popular and she'll never see this, I just want to say she has a right to be sad that her child died.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home