Bear Necessities

Friday, January 28, 2011

Bachelor #...I've lost count: Boomer 2.0

So that Wednesday while trying to learn about Alley I came across Boomer:  An 8 year old pit bull currently in foster care with a dog trainer in Delaware County.  I speak to the foster coordinator for the Delco SPCA, fill out yet another form and she passes it on the Boomer's foster dad. 

I heard from Michael on Thursday night and we made plans to meet at the SPCA on Sunday.  Boomer turned out to be a great dog, a bit more energy than Goldie, but a total lovebug.  We filled out the paperwork and were soon heading home with our boy.  Such a change from Boomer 1.0-no barking in the car!  Whoo hoo!

Once home he settled right in.  He spent most of the day snuggled up on the couch with me.  We took a nice long walk after dinner and he was great on the leash.  Bedtime was around midnight and we put him in the laundry room with his bed and blanket.

In the morning I fed him breakfast and we took a nice long walk.  We put him back in the laundry room before we left for work with a nice big bone to chew on.  Once home from work their were walkies, then dinner and some play time and snuggling.  Bedtime came again and he was not a happy puppy.  He started whining and barking in his room and at 1 AM I caved and took him outside for a 30 minute walk.  Once back home he still wasn't ready for bed and I was sick so again, I caved and rewarded bad behavior by letting him have the run of the downstairs.  He really wanted to be with us, so this didn't help.  I laid with him on the couch for a bit, but feeling as bad as I did that was not where I wanted to sleep.

So I let him upstairs.  He jumped on the bed, Frank told him no and went to grab his collar...and Boomer snapped.  He lunged at Frank, snarling and growling.  I have no idea how Frank handled it so calmly and well, but he got control of the dog and no one got hurt, but we were both shaken.  Boomer calmed down, but we just weren't comfortable having him in the house. 

I have to stress I don't believe this was Boomer's fault.  It think he was stressed because he wanted to be with us and then displayed guarding behavior when he got on the bed.  He hadn't been with a family in 6 years, so I think this was just too much for him.  He had been kept in a basement for years before being brought to the SPCA and when he was with Mike he was being trained, but not really part of a family.

So feeling frightened (at least I was) and not knowing what else to do, we took him to the Conshohocken SPCA, explaining the situation and that we didn't believe it was true aggression.  I spoke with the shelter manager first thing in the morning, and the Delco coordinator and we picked Boomer up after work and took him back to Delco where he is safe and sound.

Everyone was so supportive, but I feel like I really failed Boomer.  This will pass, and at least he is safe and has a chance at another family, but it feels awful.  We've decided that right now a dog isn't for us.  Maybe we aren't home enough, maybe we haven't found the right dog or maybe we just aren't a dog family.  But for now I plan on annoying Tasha with attention and possibly getting a Webkin...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home