In Search of Puppy Love: Bachelor #1
So since last I blogged we met a few dogs. What are we looking for? An older dog, well past the hyper puppy phase who is house broken and affectionate. I think this is both reasonable and a wide enough definition that we should have lots of candidates, right? Well I am learning that I may be a little more picky that I originally believed. It's surprisingly like internet dating.
Nino: The Dog without a Personality
First we met Nino, a 10 year old pit bull. Nino is a pretty, well behaved pit from Polished Pit Bull Rescue. Let me state for the record I'm aware most animal rescuers are rabidly devoted to their selected species and a good many are on the nutty side. That said, D from PPBR was a bit much even for me. I learned more about her life than the dog's. Nino was...completely boring. There was no personality I could see. Admittedly I've only owned one dog, Goldie, and she behaved like all the other animals I've ever adopted: She was happy to meet me and there was something about her that just clicked. Nino was like tofu ice cream: A polite house guest but showed no real interest in anything. Except his tail. He started chasing his tail and kept it up for 30 minutes until we took him outside. Once at the rescue D was able to stop him by using a shock collar. I make no judgment on this, I know there is a place for these things. I have felt them and know that the lowest setting is less painful that a static shock. Still, call it a weakness in my personality, but I couldn't do it. Add to this the fatty tumor she was determined to have removed and analyzed (and if it was cancer wasn't going to treat due to his age, so why the hell put a 10 year old dog under anesthesia?) and well, this wasn't the dog for us. D was rather nasty when I told her that. Really nasty. Ah well the quest continues.
Nino: The Dog without a Personality
First we met Nino, a 10 year old pit bull. Nino is a pretty, well behaved pit from Polished Pit Bull Rescue. Let me state for the record I'm aware most animal rescuers are rabidly devoted to their selected species and a good many are on the nutty side. That said, D from PPBR was a bit much even for me. I learned more about her life than the dog's. Nino was...completely boring. There was no personality I could see. Admittedly I've only owned one dog, Goldie, and she behaved like all the other animals I've ever adopted: She was happy to meet me and there was something about her that just clicked. Nino was like tofu ice cream: A polite house guest but showed no real interest in anything. Except his tail. He started chasing his tail and kept it up for 30 minutes until we took him outside. Once at the rescue D was able to stop him by using a shock collar. I make no judgment on this, I know there is a place for these things. I have felt them and know that the lowest setting is less painful that a static shock. Still, call it a weakness in my personality, but I couldn't do it. Add to this the fatty tumor she was determined to have removed and analyzed (and if it was cancer wasn't going to treat due to his age, so why the hell put a 10 year old dog under anesthesia?) and well, this wasn't the dog for us. D was rather nasty when I told her that. Really nasty. Ah well the quest continues.
Labels: Puppy Search

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home