Bear Necessities

Friday, March 12, 2010

Yay and Boo

First the yay: 2 more lbs have bit the dust! Whoo hoo! I’ve been sticking to the diet and hitting the gym so I’m glad to see there is some effect on the scale. I actually had a moment with my trainer this week where I looked in the mirror (man I hate how they make us work out in front of those) and thought, “Hey, I think this is looking better!” This was a nice thing.


The boo would be my crazy downstairs neighbor. Now please keep in mind I’ve just been annoyed for so long that everything she does makes me want to slap her, even if it isn’t warranted. Mostly I think it’s the tone, very whiney and I’m starting to think she expects ME to do something to make her issues better.

Basically, my Friday morning started last night at 11:30. Yesterday was an exhausting day, physically and emotionally. Work was tense because 2 of our lower performing engineers were laid off. I will say I was truly impressed with how it was handled. Our Senior Vice President drove down from Massachusetts that morning just so he could deliver the news personally to the two men and then be here for the rest of the afternoon to reassure us that this was the only cut being made to our part of the organization, to let us know the company was okay and then he made himself available to anyone who had questions. He even checked in with me to make sure I wasn’t spooked since I was new. Like I said, it was handled with a lot of respect and consideration, I was very impressed. But it did make for a quiet day, and I was tired from a late night the night before so by 5 I was ready to drop.

But no! I went to the gym and sweated off cheesecakes past then went home and made dinner and my lunch (which of course I left at home this morning). I dropped into bed around 11 and was asleep when my phone started beeping in the tone I’ve chosen for my downstairs neighbor. I toyed with ignoring it, but figured she’d just knock on the door if I did. So then in that whiney, half crying voice she asked me if I’d turned down the heat. No. Then she tells me she’s been sitting in the basement and the heater keeps cycling on and off but no heat is coming out. I asked if the pilot light was out, she didn’t think so (I thought I smelled gas, but who knows). I cranked up the thermostat, no heat came on so I went back to the phone and said, yup it’s broke.

She then went on about how she was so cold and didn’t want to get sick again. Keep in mind it was 68 upstairs. I listened as she went on about how her electric bill was through the roof and she’d unplugged everything and she couldn’t afford it and maybe it was the heater. I groggily said we had gas heat, but she continued to go on about it and finally I said look, I’m a tenant too. There is nothing I can do about it. She said oh, then said she was going to call our land lord (who is in her 70’s).

This morning my landlady called (I really do like her) to tell me “dingdong” downstairs had called her at midnight to say the heat wasn’t working and asked her to send someone to fix it then. She has the heater technician coming out this morning at 8:30 along with her husband and has told my downstairs neighbor she doesn’t have to give notice to leave.

While we were on the phone my neighbor called and left a message that her CO2 detector was going off and telling her to get out into fresh air. I called her back to let her know I got the message and thank her for it. I told her we’d crack some windows and were leaving for the day. She went on a bit about how the landlady refused to send someone out last night…really? And how she couldn’t get a shower because she had to get out of the apartment. She was still there when Frank and I left for work. Frank has an interview so he’s got the car today, which looks like a good thing. I told him if they do end up saying he should stay out of the apartment for a bit that if he can he should take the ferret and rat with him. I can see them now, sitting at Starbucks using the wi-fi…lol.

The other positive to Frank having the car is that he is being a sweetie and bringing me my lunch after his interview. And I will now resume clinging to my coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home