Bear Necessities

Monday, March 01, 2010

Parenting Rant

First, I don't have kids.  This is based soley on the parents I know and how my parents were with me.

As you may or may not have heard there is a pediatrician in Delaware who has been arrested for molesting over 100 children in the past 10 or so years who were brought into his practice for examinations.  This is beyond horrible and I think he should be torn apart by wolves.  And nothing I'm about to write is meant to blame the parents, it's just something I don't understand.

How did he get the opportunity to be alone with these children who are under 10 years old?  I can't imagine a child going to the doctor alone.  My mother always stayed with me when I had a doctor's visit because a) the doctor is scary and I wanted my mommy and b) she needed to know what he said!  She goes with my dad to his visits so they have 2 sets of ears listening to what the doctor has to say!  What a reason could be given for a parent to leave an examination?  The only thing I can come up with is perhaps the doctor suspects abuse and in that case then a nurse should be present.  In fact, I thought that was standard practice for a while.

Seriously, even when I was a freshman in college and I had to go to the health center because my eye swelled shut I insisted the nurse stay in the room with the doctor and me.  The doctor was not happy with this, but had no choice but to let her stay.  And you know what?  That doctor was removed from campus shortly after because he'd been touching female students inappropriately!  I didn't know that, but I did know that I wasn't comfortable being alone with him, so I spoke up. 

I just can't imagine a parent leaving a child alone in an examination. This makes me wonder exactly how he got the children away from the parents. And I can believe one or two clueless parents, but 100? But then there is a lot about this that I can't understand, and obviously bug me.  And make me want to vomit.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home