Bear Necessities

Monday, November 09, 2009

Quitter

Yup, as of yesterday I'm a quitter. Though I don't know if they've realized it yet...

So I went in on Friday to find they'd scheduled me to work on Black Friday, which I expected. What I didn't expect was that I'd be "manager on duty" which is their term for the chick with the keys. Or as I like to think of it "She who gets yelled at". Not really comfortable with that. The night was long, and though I like working with Suzie she stresses about how long we are there cleaning up so at 10 she asked me to clock out and I worked another 45 minutes. This isn't the first time, but I decided it was the last. It's just not cool.

So I got home around 11, saw Frank for the first time that day, had dinner and went to bed. Oh the excitement. I'd been feeling like I was absent from my own life since this experiment started and not liking it. I miss Frank even though we live together, the animals aren't getting much attention, the house is a mess, I'm tired all the time and I was talking to Greg about getting together and realized we couldn't find a time. All this and I had a party Saturday night.

My original plan had been to work until 9:30 then head to The Lighthouse after, but if I didn't get out until 11 again, and had to get up at 8 for work the next morning I was going to be miserable and there was no point in going! I'd made a costume and was really looking forward to it, so I decided to be irresponsible and call out of work. I knew we had an extra person on that night because I was "training," not that there had been much time to learn things because there was always something more pressing, so I didn't feel too bad about it. I called early and explained I had a family emergency and wouldn't be in. Well it was an emergency, I missed my family and I'd backed out on looking at wedding rings with Frank twice already, I wasn't going to do it again!

No one seemed to care, so I went on my merry way. We looked at some nice rings in the North East, grabbed some Chinese, braved the Franklin Mills Mall (where after 30 minutes I asked if we could go back to civilization), watched a little Batman and Robin from the 1930s and got in a nap before heading out. Oh the party was such fun and it was so nice to see folks! Plus I won a prize for my costume, as did Frank! Whoo hoo!

Sunday morning I crawled out of bed and headed to work where there was a hornet's nest of activity. It seems our manager was incommunicado, they weren't sure if I was coming in Sunday and didn't have my phone number, plus there was a computer issue the night before. So Sunday was completely over scheduled and we still could have used more people. I hate the way they schedule, there are never enough hands even when they know it's going to be a zoo because of a sale.

Anyhow, Sayrah and I were both shunned as we had both called out once that week. Sayrah was still obviously sick and I would have sent her home, but it wasn't my call and no one was talking to us anyhow. So by the end of the night I'd definitely decided to turn in the resignation letter I had in my pocket. But there was no one to resign to as the manager was probably on vacation (no one was sure, but there was a rumor) and the assistant manager wasn't in. So I labeled it with both of their names and left it on the keyboard in the office.

Unfortunately I left my jacket behind and I'm trying to decide how much I like it, if it's worth retrieving...

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Jill said…

    Way to quit, you quitter.

    :)

    We still love you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home