Bear Necessities

Monday, June 22, 2009

*sigh*

So this past Friday Frank did something no mere mortal male would dare: He went shopping with me. Now this might normally not be a daunting task, but this was for specific clothing...business attire. And did I mention he gave blood before we assaulted the stores?

Anyhow, after sticker shock at Talbots, lunch and then JC Penny's I found something I felt was appropriate and that he thought would work, though he wasn't so sure about the pants...hey, I gotta have some bit of me in a suit. Then came shoes. By the time we left the mall is was 9 PM, he'd been shopping with me for 6 hours. The man is a saint.

So the reason for the need of a suit was that I had an interview in the city this morning for a job that doesn't exactly light my fire, but I figured the practice would be good. It was kinda fun taking the train together this morning, I teased him about walking me to school on my first day.

Here are the directions I was given for the interview:

Time: 9:30 AM
Date: Monday 06/22/2009
Position: Department Assistant
Hiring Manager: Mary Pratz
Interview Location: The Wannamaker Building 100 Penn Square Philadelphia, PA 19107

And there was a map of center city attached. Have you seen the Wannamaker Building? Do you know how many offices there are? Well the company I was interviewing with wasn't even listed in the directory! It was under another company umbrella and if the security guard hadn't known the woman I was to meet I'd still be standing in the damn lobby!

Oh, and it was like getting into Ft. Knox! I had a little badge from security to use the elevators, then had to call someone to come let me into the office from a phone in the hallway! AND I was told "Professional attire required" which would be why I felt it necessary to have a suit instead of ensemble, but of the 3 people who interviewed me 2 were in jeans and one was in sweat pants! In fact, the only person I encountered who wasn't in jeans or sweat pants was the lady in the maternity dress! Seriously people, if your office is casual the least you could say is "business casual" to interviewees.

The position itself is a no brainer, which isn't really a plus to me, but if they offered me good enough money I might consider it...of course I have no idea what the job pays because THEY had no idea what the job pays. When I asked they were surprised the HR person I spoke to didn't tell me. In fact when I asked her she said to ask at the interview. And as far as the questions I had for them, the big one was about turnover and though there was a lot of talking I really have no idea if there is a lot or not. I really wanted to say, "I realize you are interviewing me, but do you realize I'm also interviewing you?"

So that's the latest. Frank's awesome, the job wasn't so impressive.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home