Up and Down
So this past weekend was supposed to be taking Frank to New Mexico to meet Mom and Dad, but the universe had other plans and unfortunately they were of a very sad nature.
On May 16 his grandparents were in a terrible car accident and neither survived. Frank got the call Saturday night around 11 PM and the whole family was in shock. Over the next few days we got more information on the accident and the arrangements and made some changes to our plans. Happily it was not a case of elderly drivers making a mistake. The opposing driver drifted into there lane while coming around a curve.
So last weekend was the viewing and the memorial mass, and I think I've now met all of Frank's extended family though I wish it could have been under happier circumstances. In an effort to look on the bright side I inadvertently started a rumor we were engaged, so that was kind of funny. And of course there were the kids. Frank's niece Audrey has more energy than our ferret and is twice as cute at least. It's hard to stay sad around kids. And Frank got to meet his nephew Jonah finally. That is one adorable baby, let me tell you!
I think the highlight for me was at the luncheon after the graveside service on Saturday when Audrey asked for my ice cream and when I said no picked up a butter knife and started playing with it. I told Betsy and Josh their kid was trying to mug me for my dessert!
But the great thing about the weekend, no matter the sad reason, Frank's sisters, brothers-in-law, mom, dad and brother were together. And with a family spread out between PA, NJ, TN and Ireland that can be quite a trick. There were cookouts, late night chats and since his parents were staying with us we got to spend our mornings chatting over coffee before starting on the visits of the day. Very nice indeed.
If I sound too light about this past weekend forgive me. For me the thought that these two people died together was a kind of a blessing. No one had to be left behind. The family could focus on their grief and not worry about the state of mind of a grieving parent. John and Nancy Green lived very long and full lives. They had 8 children, I don't know how many grandchildren, two great grandchildren and judging by the filled church will be remembered well by many, many people.
So this weekend we are making the trek to New Mexico. Sadly with changing flights now we are leaving Friday morning at 7 which means we have to be up at 4 AM, but I'm hoping Frank will forgive me for that one.
On to the next adventure!
On May 16 his grandparents were in a terrible car accident and neither survived. Frank got the call Saturday night around 11 PM and the whole family was in shock. Over the next few days we got more information on the accident and the arrangements and made some changes to our plans. Happily it was not a case of elderly drivers making a mistake. The opposing driver drifted into there lane while coming around a curve.
So last weekend was the viewing and the memorial mass, and I think I've now met all of Frank's extended family though I wish it could have been under happier circumstances. In an effort to look on the bright side I inadvertently started a rumor we were engaged, so that was kind of funny. And of course there were the kids. Frank's niece Audrey has more energy than our ferret and is twice as cute at least. It's hard to stay sad around kids. And Frank got to meet his nephew Jonah finally. That is one adorable baby, let me tell you!
I think the highlight for me was at the luncheon after the graveside service on Saturday when Audrey asked for my ice cream and when I said no picked up a butter knife and started playing with it. I told Betsy and Josh their kid was trying to mug me for my dessert!
But the great thing about the weekend, no matter the sad reason, Frank's sisters, brothers-in-law, mom, dad and brother were together. And with a family spread out between PA, NJ, TN and Ireland that can be quite a trick. There were cookouts, late night chats and since his parents were staying with us we got to spend our mornings chatting over coffee before starting on the visits of the day. Very nice indeed.
If I sound too light about this past weekend forgive me. For me the thought that these two people died together was a kind of a blessing. No one had to be left behind. The family could focus on their grief and not worry about the state of mind of a grieving parent. John and Nancy Green lived very long and full lives. They had 8 children, I don't know how many grandchildren, two great grandchildren and judging by the filled church will be remembered well by many, many people.
So this weekend we are making the trek to New Mexico. Sadly with changing flights now we are leaving Friday morning at 7 which means we have to be up at 4 AM, but I'm hoping Frank will forgive me for that one.
On to the next adventure!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home