Contained Chaos
Friday was doctor day. Natasha the Magnificent had her first vet appointment and then later I had a doctor's visit of my own. How exciting! Friday morning dawned...wet.
I packed up the intrepid ferret and we journeyed up the turnpike and route 1 to Fairless Hills to see Dr. Urbanick, just a fabulous exotics vet. Tasha, though unhappy at being confined, weathered the trip well. She charmed the vet tech who couldn't believe she was seven. Entertainingly both the tech and Dr. U assumed I'd had ferrets before and when I said no they looked uncomfortable and in each case said something about "you know they only live to be 7 or 8..." Yes, I'm am quite aware. Age doesn't mean they make bad pets, in fact in my experience it's quite the opposite. Older animals are set in their personalities and pretty much trained. And in most cases, though not this one, calmer. All good things in my opinion. End of lecture!
So Dr. U came in, cleaned some potatoes out of Tasha's ears (we both thought she had mites but there was nothing on the slide, Whoo hoo!) and showed me how to clip her nails. She did better with the nails than the ears interestingly enough. Unfortunately since I have to give her ear drops for 2 weeks it's added a whole new level of fun to our evening ritual. Anyhow, she's got a clean bill of health from her pink little nose to the bald tip of her tail (hair loss is normal in older ferrets).
The ride home was exciting. Tasha figured out how to open the zipper on her carrier as I was driving down route 1 in the torrential rain. So with no place to pull over I was forced to wrestle with her in my lap until I got to the turnpike tolls! No humans or animals were injured...hee hee.
She's been a wonderful little joker around the house: figuring out how to get her cage door open within an hour of being in it, stealing my socks and attempting to haul away a pair of jeans, doing the wiggly ferret dance of joy (which looks a little like a fun seizure...) and having a toe fetish. She's a very licky creature which can catch you off guard if your shoes are off.
But she's adorable and hilarious, and Connie keeps threatening to steal her which I take as a good sign. So here are some pics of our little girl...not the grand child Frank's mom was hoping for but she has 2 and 2 on the way so she'll be fine!
And a little video including some back wiggling and tail chasing...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home