Bear Necessities

Monday, October 05, 2009

Things Remembered

No not the store, though that may be a post in the future.

It's funny how you can put things out of your mind. We've been turning the attic into a sewing room so I've been sorting through boxes. Yesterday was toys from my childhood, some of which went to my new nephew Andrew, some will go to Charlotte and Molly, others...well they are too beat up to pass on, but too precious in my memory to let go. I guess they can just hit the furnace with me when I die.

But then there were the pictures. Just framed prints from a friend of mine who passed away in 2004. I'd taken some down (I have quite a few) to make room for other things. As I went through these I decided to hang them in the attic. But among these is also the memorial picture I put together of him, for a few of us who knew more than just the angsty guy. It made me miss him again, and have that little moment of "how could I have stopped?" A silly thought we all get in those situations.

Then Friday I got a note from his publisher, they had put together some of his introductions and fan mail in a little volume, proceeds going to his daughter's college fund, so of course I bought one. It will be here soon, and I'll read it, feel sad, mad and lucky at the same time again. Just funny how that sort of thing lumps up. And in October which has always been a nostalgic month for me. I think it's the wood smoke.

Anyhow, just felt like sharing...now on to thinking about Halloween and the fun to be had...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home