Bear Necessities

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Too Old

Too old, too tired...but not dead yet!

So I hounded AC Moore and got an interview two weeks ago. After passing the background check I was put on the schedule this week at $8/hour. I was dreading working there on Black Friday, but what can you do?

I had put in an application at Joann Fabrics, but they weren't hiring at the time. Then over Columbus Day weekend we were picking up a few things there and they were insanely busy! So being obnoxious I asked if they were hiring. The manager's eyes lit up, she asked a few questions and then had me fill out another application. Last Monday I popped in to drop off my resume, just for kicks, and we made an appointment for an interview on Saturday morning. The interview really wasn't one, just letting me know they were looking for a closing key holder, would I be interested? It paid $9/hour...While I love the store and it's size I wasn't sure about having keys again. Walden was a madhouse at closing. But I said yes and we scheduled me for work this week...which conflicted with AC Moore. Sigh.

After a lot of thought and talking it over with Frank I was almost positive I wanted to go with Joann's, but just in case I held off on burning any bridges until I made it though my first shift. Which was last night.

The people are nice, I know the product and closing procedures have gotten a heck of a lot easier since I last did them, but 5 hours on my feet was a killer on my back and soles. As I crawled into the car at 10:15 I wasn't so sure I would be able to get back out. I got home, my sweetie had saved some dinner for me so we sat down and recapped our days. I took an Aleve and headed to bed where I promptly passed out.

Getting up this morning was ugly. I woke up at 5 and considered getting up and doing some yoga to stretch out sore muscles, but miraculously they were in pretty good shape, so I fell back to sleep. The alarm went off at 6, I ignored it. Again at 6:15, snoozed. 6:24, snoozed, 6:33...turned off. At 6:50 I crawled out of bed just before Frank was about to come check on me.

I stumbled into the bathroom to clean up, put toothpaste on my toothbrush and, I swear, almost brushed my armpit. I wasn't tired, not at all! I managed to get the brush where it belonged and get the rest of me ready, throw together some lunch and stumble out the door clutching a cup of coffee like a life preserver. I was only 10 minutes late for work! Whoo hoo! I get to do it again tonight. I'm not sure I'll survive.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God I have my trainer on Wednesday and get a night off! I'll be back there on Thursday and by then should have a better feel for things. In the meantime I'm thinking of selling a kidney, if anyone's in the market.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home