Grumble Grumble Grumble
I am finding it hard to stay chipper today. My day started nice and normal enough. Get up, get breakfast, pull together the things I needed for work, give Frank a kiss and off I go. For once even the drive in didn't showcase any creative drivers. Then I pulled up to work to see my boss getting out of her car...
Don't get me wrong, I like my boss, it's just that I know when she's in that early the day is going to be tense. It was then that I remembered she had decided in an effort to make communication better in the back shop she was going to come in early and "facilitate". This has not and will not ever go over well back there, partially because they are stubborn, partically because she isn't good at it.
But then I think, hey, I'm borrowing trouble. I get upstairs, she's in a whirlwind of tension and I just want my coffee. After 3 times asking if she could open a program I had taken offline to back up I finally tell her she can, and she's off to the next thing. She doesn't wait well.
Will came in and I yell my usual good morning...silence. I get up to make sure we don't have an unscheduled visitor, nope, it's Will. So I say good morning again, he grunts at me. He was sick most of last week and still looks it. I ask how he feels, he shrugs. I ask if there's anything wrong, he shrugs. I say he still looks under the weather, he finally verbalizes he's tired. I tell him the boss is in the back with Tony going over the orders of the day and he rolls his eyes. Really? How old are we? And this before he knows WHY she's back there.
Next in is Connie. Her mom is moving today so I expected her to be out of sorts. I call good morning, hear a mumble, and come out to see how she is. She mumbled something else at me, I have no clue what and slumped toward the back shop. It was at this point I sat down at my desk and started to feel a little grumpy. Seriously, can no one say good morning back? I've given up on getting an unprovoked one. I will say that at least Tony answers me back cheerily when I say it, so 1 out of 3 is something.
Then I think, hey, it isn't their responsibility to keep me chipper and I don't have to let their general funk infect me. This is when my boss came back up front complaining that the boys don't say good morning to each other and this has her in a nasty mood now. So I tell her what I'd just decided, she didn't get it and continues on the rant. Great. I find pictures of our gummy bears online in the hopes that cheers her up, it manages to distract her. Sort of like throwing a steak at a charging bear, it might slow it down but probably not for long.
Then the bright part of my morning arrives. Beverly comes in with a smile and big Good Morning. Yay Beverly! What would I do without her? She is unfortunately followed by the Fedex driver who has a truck full of puppets for us. He's about 2 hours early and the guys don't have time to unload him at this point. This is where my boss gets involved, whee. She decides that since the driver can run a forklift he'll bring the crates off the truck and she and Connie will take them from there. Have I mentioned that my boss recently had shoulder surgery? So down I go to witness the birthing of this fiasco. Will comes down after us (thank you!) and he runs the forklift while my boss does her level best to run me over with 6o0 lbs of wood and puppet 6 times over. I really hate unloading with her and try to head it off at every chance I can.
This is also the point where she tells us we are not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds. Well great, I should just go home now because I can't do my job without lifting things between 20 and 25! If it's over 10 lbs we need a buddy. I understand why but I still think it's dumb. The logic seems to be you aren't allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs by yourself, but as long as you have 2 people 600 lbs is fine. So this is the latest issue, which will shortly be followed by "why isn't stuff getting done?" Well because I can't swim without a buddy and there isn't a buddy available!
It is now 10 AM and I want to go home. Any joy has been sucked out of me, the tension in the office is making me anxious and my nose is runny...whine whine whine...
Don't get me wrong, I like my boss, it's just that I know when she's in that early the day is going to be tense. It was then that I remembered she had decided in an effort to make communication better in the back shop she was going to come in early and "facilitate". This has not and will not ever go over well back there, partially because they are stubborn, partically because she isn't good at it.
But then I think, hey, I'm borrowing trouble. I get upstairs, she's in a whirlwind of tension and I just want my coffee. After 3 times asking if she could open a program I had taken offline to back up I finally tell her she can, and she's off to the next thing. She doesn't wait well.
Will came in and I yell my usual good morning...silence. I get up to make sure we don't have an unscheduled visitor, nope, it's Will. So I say good morning again, he grunts at me. He was sick most of last week and still looks it. I ask how he feels, he shrugs. I ask if there's anything wrong, he shrugs. I say he still looks under the weather, he finally verbalizes he's tired. I tell him the boss is in the back with Tony going over the orders of the day and he rolls his eyes. Really? How old are we? And this before he knows WHY she's back there.
Next in is Connie. Her mom is moving today so I expected her to be out of sorts. I call good morning, hear a mumble, and come out to see how she is. She mumbled something else at me, I have no clue what and slumped toward the back shop. It was at this point I sat down at my desk and started to feel a little grumpy. Seriously, can no one say good morning back? I've given up on getting an unprovoked one. I will say that at least Tony answers me back cheerily when I say it, so 1 out of 3 is something.
Then I think, hey, it isn't their responsibility to keep me chipper and I don't have to let their general funk infect me. This is when my boss came back up front complaining that the boys don't say good morning to each other and this has her in a nasty mood now. So I tell her what I'd just decided, she didn't get it and continues on the rant. Great. I find pictures of our gummy bears online in the hopes that cheers her up, it manages to distract her. Sort of like throwing a steak at a charging bear, it might slow it down but probably not for long.
Then the bright part of my morning arrives. Beverly comes in with a smile and big Good Morning. Yay Beverly! What would I do without her? She is unfortunately followed by the Fedex driver who has a truck full of puppets for us. He's about 2 hours early and the guys don't have time to unload him at this point. This is where my boss gets involved, whee. She decides that since the driver can run a forklift he'll bring the crates off the truck and she and Connie will take them from there. Have I mentioned that my boss recently had shoulder surgery? So down I go to witness the birthing of this fiasco. Will comes down after us (thank you!) and he runs the forklift while my boss does her level best to run me over with 6o0 lbs of wood and puppet 6 times over. I really hate unloading with her and try to head it off at every chance I can.
This is also the point where she tells us we are not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds. Well great, I should just go home now because I can't do my job without lifting things between 20 and 25! If it's over 10 lbs we need a buddy. I understand why but I still think it's dumb. The logic seems to be you aren't allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs by yourself, but as long as you have 2 people 600 lbs is fine. So this is the latest issue, which will shortly be followed by "why isn't stuff getting done?" Well because I can't swim without a buddy and there isn't a buddy available!
It is now 10 AM and I want to go home. Any joy has been sucked out of me, the tension in the office is making me anxious and my nose is runny...whine whine whine...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home