Monday took the Day off So Stupid Filled In
Initially I was thinking that the Tuesday Monster had taken over for Monday today, then I realized even it isn't this frustratingly stupid. We'll call this a filling by Monday's "special" little brother.
This morning started kind of normal, until I got to work. I walk in the door at 8:30 and there in the middle of the lobby is 200lbs of freight. Oh joy. As I'm trying to get my coat off and edge around this hill I notice the mood lighting over my desk. I go to turn up the dimmer only to realize 1) it's up all the way, 2) The face plate has falling off the switch and 3) The light bulb has burnt out. Sigh.
I get my coat off and am scaling Mt. Crap looking for a packing slip when our CSO (Chief Strategic Officer) comes in with her 3 children-one teenage and 2 under 8, all seem nice. She then heads into the conference room where I know someone else has a video conference at 9:30. And she doesn’t have her keycard so I let her and the children into the main office knowing just how much fun awaits!
She returns sans kids and I ask if she’s got a video conference, why yes she does. Great, no one booked the room so now there is a conflict and trust me CSO, Eastern head of Engineering and Global head of Engineering trump just about everyone. So I call the admin in Acton MA who scheduled the other meeting to give her a heads up. She suggests that at 9:30 the folks for the other meeting just go into the conference room and kick the CSO out. Really? I’m thinking this is a bad idea. I let her know how well I think that one will go over and set out to find Marshall, the poor soul who’s just been volunteered to interrupt the CSO.
Marshall is very happy I warned him, has no intention of doing this and I suggested he call Sandy to reschedule.
Shortly before this my boss came in and I’d hoped to get his take on the situation, but he was late to the CSO’s meeting. Ah well.
Fred came in and claimed Mt. Crap…Yay!
The guy from our alarm company came in to see our IT guy, who wasn’t in yet. I got Kep (who is rapidly becoming the I go to for sanity checks and general help) who serves in his place at times. Turns out that Tony never told the guy we didn’t need the motion detector light by the alarm pad so he was here to install it. Um, no. The guys are happy with the flashlight in the closet (which they suggested). We call Tony who says it would need to be approved anyhow and send the alarm guy away after relaying this message. Kep asks if we are having fun and I say not really. He kindly listens to my recitation of stupid.
Jaya needs markers for the CSO’s kids and do we have anything for them to play with? Um, no. I find some coloring pages and print them out. I must say the kids were pretty excited so that was cool.
I contacted facilities and they were going to see about resolving my romantic lighting issue (it’s now 3:30, I’m doubting I’ll see them today).
Then Fedex Ground showed up with 3 large boxes.
I attempt to make order come from the chaos of the mountain range and my boss comes out to see what I need. We sit down, I tell him about the situation, ask about finding out who owns the meeting and having them reserve the room going forward would be okay, he says yes. And then I say he could point to this moment as yet another justification for us getting another video set up and he agrees. He is then sucked into another meeting.
UPS shows up with 8 large boxes.
And thus the “Dear God What Is This?” Mountain Range came into being.
Oh, and then the lunch guy arrived. So with the help of my lunch elves, Ken and Eric, food is set up and the seething hordes descend upon meatball subs.
I head up front to check something then grab a plate of food and go back to the stack of packing slips I’m trying to match up with POs. Then there was some lunch, yay!
Fred comes in with one of our coops and clears the mountain range. I call the admin in Acton and straighten out the conference room stuff. My boss finally approves my timesheet for last week and two outstanding requests I’ve been pestering him about. Fred’s 2:30 appointment shows up, but Fred’s been sucked into a conference call. He gets off that to meet with this guy and 5 minutes later his 3 o’clock appointment arrives. I settle the new arrival, track Fred down and peek in the kitchen to wrap up leftovers. What leftovers? There was half a veggie hoagie and 3 potato chips left. So I clean up and come back here to make calls for our big end of month luncheon.
Tony stops by to fax something and asks why the alarm guy didn’t install the light. Hm, because no one approved the expense? I told him I’d bring it up with my boss, but $100 vs a flashlight no one is complaining about seems a long shot. He didn’t feel it was a big deal, but really it seems like using a shotgun to swat a fly to me. But that isn’t my call.
And that’s when my trainer called to cancel our appointment tonight because his grandfather passed away, which really put things in perspective.
Yes, there were a lot of goofy dumb things today, but nothing truly bad save that man’s passing. And hey, the day went really fast. Plus I just got a fax for a seminar on how to manage emotions under pressure. Creepy.
Now as it is 4 PM I am going to listen to an episode of Red Panda then start straightening the conference rooms for another day!
This morning started kind of normal, until I got to work. I walk in the door at 8:30 and there in the middle of the lobby is 200lbs of freight. Oh joy. As I'm trying to get my coat off and edge around this hill I notice the mood lighting over my desk. I go to turn up the dimmer only to realize 1) it's up all the way, 2) The face plate has falling off the switch and 3) The light bulb has burnt out. Sigh.
I get my coat off and am scaling Mt. Crap looking for a packing slip when our CSO (Chief Strategic Officer) comes in with her 3 children-one teenage and 2 under 8, all seem nice. She then heads into the conference room where I know someone else has a video conference at 9:30. And she doesn’t have her keycard so I let her and the children into the main office knowing just how much fun awaits!
She returns sans kids and I ask if she’s got a video conference, why yes she does. Great, no one booked the room so now there is a conflict and trust me CSO, Eastern head of Engineering and Global head of Engineering trump just about everyone. So I call the admin in Acton MA who scheduled the other meeting to give her a heads up. She suggests that at 9:30 the folks for the other meeting just go into the conference room and kick the CSO out. Really? I’m thinking this is a bad idea. I let her know how well I think that one will go over and set out to find Marshall, the poor soul who’s just been volunteered to interrupt the CSO.
Marshall is very happy I warned him, has no intention of doing this and I suggested he call Sandy to reschedule.
Shortly before this my boss came in and I’d hoped to get his take on the situation, but he was late to the CSO’s meeting. Ah well.
Fred came in and claimed Mt. Crap…Yay!
The guy from our alarm company came in to see our IT guy, who wasn’t in yet. I got Kep (who is rapidly becoming the I go to for sanity checks and general help) who serves in his place at times. Turns out that Tony never told the guy we didn’t need the motion detector light by the alarm pad so he was here to install it. Um, no. The guys are happy with the flashlight in the closet (which they suggested). We call Tony who says it would need to be approved anyhow and send the alarm guy away after relaying this message. Kep asks if we are having fun and I say not really. He kindly listens to my recitation of stupid.
Jaya needs markers for the CSO’s kids and do we have anything for them to play with? Um, no. I find some coloring pages and print them out. I must say the kids were pretty excited so that was cool.
I contacted facilities and they were going to see about resolving my romantic lighting issue (it’s now 3:30, I’m doubting I’ll see them today).
Then Fedex Ground showed up with 3 large boxes.
I attempt to make order come from the chaos of the mountain range and my boss comes out to see what I need. We sit down, I tell him about the situation, ask about finding out who owns the meeting and having them reserve the room going forward would be okay, he says yes. And then I say he could point to this moment as yet another justification for us getting another video set up and he agrees. He is then sucked into another meeting.
UPS shows up with 8 large boxes.
And thus the “Dear God What Is This?” Mountain Range came into being.
Oh, and then the lunch guy arrived. So with the help of my lunch elves, Ken and Eric, food is set up and the seething hordes descend upon meatball subs.
I head up front to check something then grab a plate of food and go back to the stack of packing slips I’m trying to match up with POs. Then there was some lunch, yay!
Fred comes in with one of our coops and clears the mountain range. I call the admin in Acton and straighten out the conference room stuff. My boss finally approves my timesheet for last week and two outstanding requests I’ve been pestering him about. Fred’s 2:30 appointment shows up, but Fred’s been sucked into a conference call. He gets off that to meet with this guy and 5 minutes later his 3 o’clock appointment arrives. I settle the new arrival, track Fred down and peek in the kitchen to wrap up leftovers. What leftovers? There was half a veggie hoagie and 3 potato chips left. So I clean up and come back here to make calls for our big end of month luncheon.
Tony stops by to fax something and asks why the alarm guy didn’t install the light. Hm, because no one approved the expense? I told him I’d bring it up with my boss, but $100 vs a flashlight no one is complaining about seems a long shot. He didn’t feel it was a big deal, but really it seems like using a shotgun to swat a fly to me. But that isn’t my call.
And that’s when my trainer called to cancel our appointment tonight because his grandfather passed away, which really put things in perspective.
Yes, there were a lot of goofy dumb things today, but nothing truly bad save that man’s passing. And hey, the day went really fast. Plus I just got a fax for a seminar on how to manage emotions under pressure. Creepy.
Now as it is 4 PM I am going to listen to an episode of Red Panda then start straightening the conference rooms for another day!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home