Why
Frank and I are talking about getting a dog. Okay, I'm doing the talking and Frank is agreeing to it. I'm looking at paperwork to adopt and they ask why we think we would make a good home for a rescued dog. Well, there's the food, shelter and security thing. Knowing rescue animals as I do those are the biggies, especially the security thing. It takes a lot to make me give up on an animal.
But why do I want a dog? Tasha our ferret is a fuzzy handful. She's playful, adorable, goofy and affectionate when she slows down. She's awesome. So why do I want something else? True, it would be nice to have something that didn't poop in the house (at least not on purpose). I'm not a fan of carrying the plastic bag of nastiness, but that never has to come in the house. That sucker goes right into the trash can.
I guess I miss my cat. She wasn't overly needy, but she was her own little person who would curl up on the couch or the bed and I could pet her idly. Don't get me wrong, Frank does all that too, but he doesn't have silky ears...lol. Frank is allergic to cats so my Callie found another home. I suppose it's a semi autonomous pet I miss, one I don't have to wonder where it's managed to stuff itself into or if it's decided that corner is a good place to pee. There is a certain tension level that comes with owning a ferret. Tasha is great, but sometimes she forgets where to pee and I haven't figured out how spreading kibble all over the floor can be called a hoarding instinct. Kibble patrol before company comes over is always fun.
A dog would mean planning, no suddenly deciding a night out can be a weekend away...of course we haven't done that yet. It would mean having someone take care of her while we are gone, but then we do that for Tasha now. It would mean walks when I want to sleep in, barking at times (though since Tasha was digging for China this morning I'm not sure the barking would be worse).
So what does that mean? Do I just want another animal because I do? Is there something missing in my life? I know I'm not trying to substitute a pet for a child...I'm very happy being auntie Liz and people take a dim view of letting children poop in the street. I think I miss the quiet companionship. While I was laying on the couch the other night Tasha scrambled up and was rooting around on the blanket. I remember thinking how nice it would be if she just curled up and fell asleep, or would just lay there and let me pet her. But alas this is a ferret we are talking about...she found my toes, stole my sock and was on her way. Even when she does fall asleep by me she wakes up if I pet her and we are off to play again.
She's very affectionate, just not particularly stationary. Cuddling is pretty much by my choice and she generally reacts the same way a 9 year old boy does when Mom asks for a hug in front of his friends. Get this over with and let me play. This is the nature of ferrets, a generally entertaining one too. But yes, I think that's it, I miss a fuzzy head bumping into me for an ear scratch or a tummy rub. I miss an animal making the choice to ask for my affection.
Now if I could just convince Betsy to let us steal Brooklyn...
But why do I want a dog? Tasha our ferret is a fuzzy handful. She's playful, adorable, goofy and affectionate when she slows down. She's awesome. So why do I want something else? True, it would be nice to have something that didn't poop in the house (at least not on purpose). I'm not a fan of carrying the plastic bag of nastiness, but that never has to come in the house. That sucker goes right into the trash can.
I guess I miss my cat. She wasn't overly needy, but she was her own little person who would curl up on the couch or the bed and I could pet her idly. Don't get me wrong, Frank does all that too, but he doesn't have silky ears...lol. Frank is allergic to cats so my Callie found another home. I suppose it's a semi autonomous pet I miss, one I don't have to wonder where it's managed to stuff itself into or if it's decided that corner is a good place to pee. There is a certain tension level that comes with owning a ferret. Tasha is great, but sometimes she forgets where to pee and I haven't figured out how spreading kibble all over the floor can be called a hoarding instinct. Kibble patrol before company comes over is always fun.
A dog would mean planning, no suddenly deciding a night out can be a weekend away...of course we haven't done that yet. It would mean having someone take care of her while we are gone, but then we do that for Tasha now. It would mean walks when I want to sleep in, barking at times (though since Tasha was digging for China this morning I'm not sure the barking would be worse).
So what does that mean? Do I just want another animal because I do? Is there something missing in my life? I know I'm not trying to substitute a pet for a child...I'm very happy being auntie Liz and people take a dim view of letting children poop in the street. I think I miss the quiet companionship. While I was laying on the couch the other night Tasha scrambled up and was rooting around on the blanket. I remember thinking how nice it would be if she just curled up and fell asleep, or would just lay there and let me pet her. But alas this is a ferret we are talking about...she found my toes, stole my sock and was on her way. Even when she does fall asleep by me she wakes up if I pet her and we are off to play again.
She's very affectionate, just not particularly stationary. Cuddling is pretty much by my choice and she generally reacts the same way a 9 year old boy does when Mom asks for a hug in front of his friends. Get this over with and let me play. This is the nature of ferrets, a generally entertaining one too. But yes, I think that's it, I miss a fuzzy head bumping into me for an ear scratch or a tummy rub. I miss an animal making the choice to ask for my affection.
Now if I could just convince Betsy to let us steal Brooklyn...
Labels: Puppy Search

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home