Trudging Toward Better Health
As of today I have lost 31.5 lbs. When I look at it that way I think “Awesome!” Then I make the mistake of looking ahead to
how far I have yet to go. Less than
some, farther than most. The long view
does get daunting. As things go now it
will take me a year to lose the weight I need to. I’m not complaining, the weight is coming
off. Not everyone is able to do it
through diet and exercise so I know I’m lucky.
And weight lost slowly is generally weight that stays off. All things I remind myself of daily.
The daunting part is when I look at the “health indicators”,
things like BMI. A healthy BMI is
between 18.5–24.9. I am very, very far
away from that. But here is the current
scale:
- Underweight = less than 18.5
- Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
- Overweight = 25–29.9
- Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
The latest statistic shows that over 30% of the US
population is obese. I have a ways to go
before the description of my BMI changes and I want to feel like I’m gaining
some traction. The old BMI chart had
more levels:
Adults
|
Women
|
Men
|
anorexia
|
Less than 17.5
|
|
underweight
|
17.5-19.1
|
17.5-20.7
|
in normal range
|
19.1-25.8
|
20.7-26.4
|
marginally overweight
|
25.8-27.3
|
26.4-27.8
|
overweight
|
27.3-32.3
|
27.8-31.1
|
very overweight or obese
|
32.3-35
|
31.1-35
|
severely obese
|
35
- 40
|
|
morbidly obese
|
40
- 50
|
|
super obese
|
50
- 60
|
|
I like having more levels, but I can’t say I like the names they’ve
chosen (super obese makes me think of a huge man in spandex. No one wants that). But do you see the other problem with the old
chart? The BMI numbers overlap. I propose the following:
Adults
|
Women
|
Anorexia*
|
less than 17.5
|
Boney
|
17.6-18.5
|
Healthy
|
18.6–24.9
|
Extra Huggable
|
25-27.9
|
Squishy
|
28-29.9
|
Fluffy
|
30-34.9
|
Seriously Fluffy
|
35
– 39.9
|
OMG Fluffy
|
40
– 49.9
|
Jumbo Marshmallow**
|
50
- 60
|
*Leaving the name the
same because it is a serious thing, not that the others aren’t but at least it
has a decent name.
* *At this point you
are probably diabetic anyhow, might as well be fluffy and completely made of sugar.
While I know I should be shooting for Healthy I will be
happy with Extra Huggable.
Oddly, I feel
better now. Fluffy, but better.
Labels: Diet

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home