Bear Necessities

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Adopted for Thanksgiving

So with Mom and Dad in New Mexico I was trying to decide if I was going to spend Thanksgiving on my own or take someone up on the generous invitation to spend the holiday with their family. Lydia had invited me to her home and Monie had invited me to her parents. But then I found out Connie's family was going to Pittsburgh and she was staying behind. We hatched a plan for Chinese food on turkey day. Then Monie realized her parents would be in Germany...glad I hadn't taken her up on her offer! Sadly Monie doesn't do Chinese, so the three of us were adopted by Lydia.

While I waited for Connie to get to my place I pulled out Christmas decorations and tried to get up the enthusiasm for decking the halls. Happily Connie arrived before I had to dwell on that one. We headed to Lydia's, giving Monie directions along the way. The house was warm and smelled of yummy things. I kicked off my shoes because 1) they were a little muddy and 2) I wanted to check out the heated floor in the family room! Oh it was nice! I took Lydia up on her offer of a beer and was about a quarter of the way through it before I remembered I shouldn't be drinking while medicated...oops!

There were little ones running around, parts of Lydia's family I hadn't seen since the wedding and most of Ralph's family as well. I caught Zoe mid-run, much to the unhappiness of my back. When will I learn that kids get heavier as they get older? Connie, Monie and I ended up at our own little table-I liked the way there were multiple places to eat, much more casual and relaxed-with an extra seat for a rotating conversation. Lydia told us the story of Ralph's Turkey Roast (which was possibly the best turkey I've ever had) and Ralph's sister Rachel stopped over to catch us up on her life.

I was quite the sleepy camper by the pumpkin pie, so I was very happy when Connie and Monie said they would come with me to the shelter for the evening feeding. Connie and Monie took care of celery duty while I did water, food and meds. We left them quietly chewing and took ourselves home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home