Thump
If you heard a thumping last night between thunder claps that was me hitting my head on a table.
Connie called on her way home from work to ask if I had had dinner and if not if I'd like to meet her at the diner. Knowing she didn't want to go home at that point I said sure and headed out. Once seated our waiter (a nice Greek gentleman, but not the one with the extra thumb) seemed to be pausing a little longer than normal to look and us then asked if there was something between us.
Okay, I admit my first thought was, "No we aren't dating" but then turned to the "Do Connie and I really look like sisters?" thought. Ha ha ha.
At our confusion he elaborated and asked if she was my DAUGHTER! Yes, it's a bit better than when Jill is mistaken for my daughter, but I would have been 8 when I had Connie! Do I really look this old? At the strangled sob/laugh that came out of me he explained that he thought Connie was 16, which made me feel a little better, and figured me at around 29 so I'm guessing he's seen a lot of young mothers. Let me have my delusion!
That poor man looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock and die. He didn't seem to believe we weren't somehow related, quizzed us about work, apologized again and hurried away. After dinner he came by to say he was going into the kitchen to do some work, but would be on until 8 and we shouldn't feel rushed, I could sit and read my book if I wanted, then grabbed my shoulder as he walked away.
We laughed about it, but now I'm reconsidering my general dislike of wearing make up...perhaps I should be a little more faithful with my anti-aging regime...
Connie called on her way home from work to ask if I had had dinner and if not if I'd like to meet her at the diner. Knowing she didn't want to go home at that point I said sure and headed out. Once seated our waiter (a nice Greek gentleman, but not the one with the extra thumb) seemed to be pausing a little longer than normal to look and us then asked if there was something between us.
Okay, I admit my first thought was, "No we aren't dating" but then turned to the "Do Connie and I really look like sisters?" thought. Ha ha ha.
At our confusion he elaborated and asked if she was my DAUGHTER! Yes, it's a bit better than when Jill is mistaken for my daughter, but I would have been 8 when I had Connie! Do I really look this old? At the strangled sob/laugh that came out of me he explained that he thought Connie was 16, which made me feel a little better, and figured me at around 29 so I'm guessing he's seen a lot of young mothers. Let me have my delusion!
That poor man looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock and die. He didn't seem to believe we weren't somehow related, quizzed us about work, apologized again and hurried away. After dinner he came by to say he was going into the kitchen to do some work, but would be on until 8 and we shouldn't feel rushed, I could sit and read my book if I wanted, then grabbed my shoulder as he walked away.
We laughed about it, but now I'm reconsidering my general dislike of wearing make up...perhaps I should be a little more faithful with my anti-aging regime...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home