Bear Necessities

Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Day in Colorado

First, Happy Birthday Jill!

Today was a family day. We headed up to Durango Colorado to visit my Aunt Jan and Uncle Truman. It is a lovely drive, only about an hour outside of Farmington.

We stopped at Serious Texas BBQ for lunch on the way. Messy, but oh so good! You have to love a place that has a roll of paper towels at the table instead of a few wimpy napkins. They also have a metal sculpture of a mariachi band on the roof...classy!

After lunch it was on to my Aunt and Uncle's. They live just outside of Durango proper on a golf course my uncle owns part of. Very nice, especially if you like to golf.

After teasing my uncle that I hadn't seen him since before I got married and he pointed out that he didn't think it looked like he missed much, we all settled in to the living room with some ice tea and caught up on family news. Since I hadn't seen him in so long, Uncle Truman and I spent a good bit of time chatting. Their house was way too close to the Mission Ridge brush fire last year so he had some beautiful if frightening pictures to show me.

We all ventured out to the patio for a while, but it ended up being a short lived photo opp as it began to rain which turned the hot ground into a sauna. I did get some pics before we gave up and went inside...


...this is (left to right) my dad, my Aunt Jan and my Uncle Truman. I'm being good and not putting up a pic of my Mom. She's camera shy.

We ended up having an odd conversation about how Uncle Truman (a very kind and gentle man) once cut off a canary's head with a pair of scissors (he was very little and mom caught him before he got to the other bird). Completely unexpected and out of character, which kept it more funny than gruesome. Mom asked if all the bird feeders out back were a kind of penance, I commented that he must have grown out of that "sociopath" stage. He then mused that you don't see canaries much anymore...sure HE doesn't see them, they're hiding! Dad then wondered if my uncle had killed a breeder. I told him about the rainbow bridge some say you go over when you die. All your old pets meet you at the other side to welcome you. I said since he'd probably be looking at some angry birds with sharp objects so he might want to get a running start!

Soon it was time to head home. My aunt and uncle are going on a train ride to Reno soon, Uncle Truman says if that works out maybe they'll train to Philly...sounds grueling, doesn't it?

Aside from spotting some prairie dogs the trip home was uneventful. Mom made another great dinner and Dad worked on his latest rug (he weaves in the Navajo style). I have to admit the new loom is pretty cool. I worked on my needle point and Mom and I chatted a bit. Both sad I'm leaving tomorrow, but there really isn't much out here for me. I think we are both better off where we are, but I hate the distance.

Time to pack and get ready to travel again. Cue Willie and Waylon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home