Bunnies, Bummers, Babies, Bravos and Barf
It was a very busy weekend. It was my last busy weekend for a while. I'm very happy about this.
Saturday was cleaning at the rabbit shelter. 44 cages with fuzzy occupants. It's better than kitty litter, but it's exhausting. And the hay gets everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I headed home when the deed was done, left my shoes outside and attempted to drown myself in a hot bath. This is the best part of shelter cleaning. Normally I would drag myself from the tub, wrap up in a towel and pass out on my bed until the spirit moved me to get dressed. But not this Saturday!
No, I had agreed to meet Lou the elevator engineer for dinner and a Comedy Cabaret. I did not have high hopes for this, but as I had broken a date with him last weekend I felt I owed him. Well, the restaurant was nice, a Thai-French fusion menu, and Lou was late enough that I was starting to hope he wasn't coming. No such luck. He looked about 10 years older than his picture and appeared to be wearing a Members Only jacket. My heart was a-flutter.
Conversation was forced and very one track. It seems since I had an interest in philosophy he decided to have one too and basically refused to talk about anything else. Sadly, he didn't get some of the names right, not to mention the ideas, so I was looking for another topic. He decided to do an impression of his Korean bosses. We've discussed before how I didn't appreciate that sort of thing (he's mean about it). He sulked when I asked him to knock it off. Ah well. Aside from the food on his chin and the dribble down his shirt we survived dinner, but I really wanted the evening to end. My wish was granted when I got lost going to the comedy show.
Sunday was way too early. I headed to Chuck and Julia's to watch Miss Charlotte so they could have a day to celebrate their anniversary. The Smooshie and I spent 11 hours together. We laughed, we cried, we threw up, we changed diapers and we napped. At one point I admit I fell asleep while she was having a bottle. Happily she was positioned quite solidly. I woke up to the sounds of a bottle being sucked dry feeling rather embarrassed.
My crowning achievement? Making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while holding the baby. I give moms and dads all the credit in the world...babies are hard! I knew they were tough, but for something that isn't even mobile yet this little girl was very active. And apparently not in favor of having her diaper changed. Modest little thing. But she is a great baby, and we had a good time and as always some wonderful heart to heart conversations.
Monie came by around 7 just as Mom and Dad were pulling in the driveway. We made a quick stop at Burger King then headed into the city. We had tickets to see David Sedaris at the Kimmel Center. It was a great show, I haven't laughed so much in ages. Unfortunately I realized as I sat there in the dark that I smelled like babies...
One of the highest compliments my ex could give was to say "you smell like babies." I hope this isn't what he meant. I think of babies and I think of baby powder smell, little snuggly warm bodies, baby shampoo. This was not the scent I was sporting. I had Ode to Baby Formula dabbed over my shirt, invisible save for the smell. Ug.
But it was a great evening, Monie and I gimped along to the truck-me with a popped hip and her with busted knees. Quite a pair. Between us we might be able to cobble together a functioning human being.
Home was a beautiful place last night. I got ready for bed, fed the zoo and made a good night phone call. As I related the day's events I heard the tell tale sound of my cat throwing up. The perfect end to the weekend. I scooped up the unchewed cat food and hosed down the carpet, said good night to my friend and snuggled into bed making a mental note not to step in the wet spot in the morning.
And I even remembered!
Saturday was cleaning at the rabbit shelter. 44 cages with fuzzy occupants. It's better than kitty litter, but it's exhausting. And the hay gets everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I headed home when the deed was done, left my shoes outside and attempted to drown myself in a hot bath. This is the best part of shelter cleaning. Normally I would drag myself from the tub, wrap up in a towel and pass out on my bed until the spirit moved me to get dressed. But not this Saturday!
No, I had agreed to meet Lou the elevator engineer for dinner and a Comedy Cabaret. I did not have high hopes for this, but as I had broken a date with him last weekend I felt I owed him. Well, the restaurant was nice, a Thai-French fusion menu, and Lou was late enough that I was starting to hope he wasn't coming. No such luck. He looked about 10 years older than his picture and appeared to be wearing a Members Only jacket. My heart was a-flutter.
Conversation was forced and very one track. It seems since I had an interest in philosophy he decided to have one too and basically refused to talk about anything else. Sadly, he didn't get some of the names right, not to mention the ideas, so I was looking for another topic. He decided to do an impression of his Korean bosses. We've discussed before how I didn't appreciate that sort of thing (he's mean about it). He sulked when I asked him to knock it off. Ah well. Aside from the food on his chin and the dribble down his shirt we survived dinner, but I really wanted the evening to end. My wish was granted when I got lost going to the comedy show.
Sunday was way too early. I headed to Chuck and Julia's to watch Miss Charlotte so they could have a day to celebrate their anniversary. The Smooshie and I spent 11 hours together. We laughed, we cried, we threw up, we changed diapers and we napped. At one point I admit I fell asleep while she was having a bottle. Happily she was positioned quite solidly. I woke up to the sounds of a bottle being sucked dry feeling rather embarrassed.
My crowning achievement? Making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while holding the baby. I give moms and dads all the credit in the world...babies are hard! I knew they were tough, but for something that isn't even mobile yet this little girl was very active. And apparently not in favor of having her diaper changed. Modest little thing. But she is a great baby, and we had a good time and as always some wonderful heart to heart conversations.
Monie came by around 7 just as Mom and Dad were pulling in the driveway. We made a quick stop at Burger King then headed into the city. We had tickets to see David Sedaris at the Kimmel Center. It was a great show, I haven't laughed so much in ages. Unfortunately I realized as I sat there in the dark that I smelled like babies...
One of the highest compliments my ex could give was to say "you smell like babies." I hope this isn't what he meant. I think of babies and I think of baby powder smell, little snuggly warm bodies, baby shampoo. This was not the scent I was sporting. I had Ode to Baby Formula dabbed over my shirt, invisible save for the smell. Ug.
But it was a great evening, Monie and I gimped along to the truck-me with a popped hip and her with busted knees. Quite a pair. Between us we might be able to cobble together a functioning human being.
Home was a beautiful place last night. I got ready for bed, fed the zoo and made a good night phone call. As I related the day's events I heard the tell tale sound of my cat throwing up. The perfect end to the weekend. I scooped up the unchewed cat food and hosed down the carpet, said good night to my friend and snuggled into bed making a mental note not to step in the wet spot in the morning.
And I even remembered!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home