Bear Necessities

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Church of Scientology

Here is what I know about Scientology:

It is based on some writings and musings of L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer
There is something about aliens in there
There is a rumor that you can fly once you reach the highest level
Money changes hands as a practitioner moves from level to level within the church
Celebrities seem to love it

As you can see, I don’t know much about the religion itself mostly because I’m not interested and think it’s a bunch of hooey. But that is my opinion. I also happen to think that if The Church of Scientology was smart they’d chain Tom Cruise up somewhere because he isn’t helping to clear up their wacko image. I take heart that John Travolta, Mimi Rogers and many more public personalities don’t seem to have lost their minds. I’ll give Scientology the benefit of the doubt and stick to believing Tom is a total nut and scientology just fed that.

Why am I telling you this? Because I found myself in the odd position of defending Scientology the other day. Yeah, I tease about the religion and make fun of the aliens and flying thing, but I also think that it’s okay for people to believe all that as long as they don’t bug me about it or hurt others. Live and let live. I grew up Baptist, lots of jokes available there and I even tell them. It doesn’t lessen my faith.

But I was having a conversation about a friend’s increasing involvement in a protestant church, which has given him a much healthier outlook on life and he seems to have found a supportive community which I think is wonderful. Then he went off on how anyone who believed in Scientology was an idiot. I pointed out that I was fairly sure there were Hindus out there who thought believing in one god was pretty dumb. Or Jews who thought the whole communion thing was a bit ghoulish. Evolutionists who feel religion is for the weak. All different viewpoints, who is to say who is right and who is wrong? Yes, I think Scientology is weird, but is it weirder than anything else out there? Not if taken in moderation.

Any religion taken to an unbalanced extreme is going to be a cult. In general, the precepts of most belief systems hinge on taking the teachings offered and applying them to your life, learning from them…not necessarily following blindly the most extreme parts. Snake handling…not a wise choice most would say, but an impressive display of faith. It mimics the courage needed to stand up for your beliefs in the face of doubt and danger.

Mormons wear “temple garments”. Alarmist pamphlets call this “magic underwear”. For the Mormons these garments, worn under the clothes, represent the purity of Christ and serve as a reminder to strive for purity of the soul. Is that much different than having a crucifix in your home? And if you think about it, doesn’t it sound a little creepier to have a dead guy nailed to a cross dangling around your neck than wearing special underwear?

We can pick apart any religion, I just happen to be more familiar with the Christian ones. But they all have their oddities if viewed by someone who isn’t of that faith. And the practices vary from congregation to congregation within each. I’ve been in Baptist churches that make Catholic churches look like hippie communes, and vice versa. I’m sure the same is true with Scientology: Each congregation and congregant will worship in their own way. Some strongly and with tolerance, some not. It’s how humans are, so I don’t think it’s very fair to say if you believe in something you’re an idiot.

Faith is something I think everyone should have, whether is it faith in God, your fellow man/woman, science, yourself or whatever. It is that something that is solid in life, without being tangible. Something that gives you comfort and reason for thought.

So yes, Scientology is very bazaar to me, but I’d never call someone an idiot just because of what they choose to believe. It’s how that translates into action that tells the story. After all, a part of me will always believe in Santa. I believe in the spirit of kindness he embodies. Silly? Maybe so, but it isn’t hurting anyone, and in fact is a rather philanthropic way of looking at the world.

So I told my friend to watch it with the judgment, because it’s pretty easy to reduce his beliefs down to their weirdest parts too. And I know his feelings would be hurt if I did that. After all, being Christian isn’t just about believing in Christ, it’s about the message of tolerance and forgiveness he preached as well. And everyone deserves that, without exception…

But Tom Cruise is a jackass, not because he’s a Scientologist, but for spouting off about psychology with tone omnipotence and being rude to Matt Lauer. Nobody messes with Matt!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Monika Kruemmling said…

    I think the difficulty people have with Scientology is directly related to the lack of rings in its tree trunk. when it's no longer so modern, it won't get as much flak as whatever new modern culty bit has popped up within the last 100 years... it's hard to give credence to a faith without the mystery great age. I think that's probably why the Mormons are a close second in getting mocked, they're the next youngest. in any case, I suppose whatever gets people through, gets people through; but you have to admit it would be be weird if I read a book about elves, trolls, and the gods of Greyhawk, and started a religion around it. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home