Bear Necessities

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rumblings

When I was little every now and again things would very still and quiet…then the ground would calmly tremble under my feet. Just a little earthquake, something as common to me as thunderstorms are to folks who grow up on the East Coast.

Today I got into work a little early and was enjoying puttering around in the quiet: Just me, my puppets and Tony working in the back shop. Will came in shortly after 7, still a little puffy from having his wisdom teeth out and obviously still hurting. Then Connie came in, and I recognized the calm before the ground starts shaking.

So I practiced my “Rock in the River,” listened, made jokes (because that’s what I do) and kept my head down. I suppose I’m lucky to be coming from a job where one boss made people cry and the other made me want to scatter birdseed in the back seat of his convertible. It helps keep things in perspective. Life has much less stress for me now, but that is largely because I am very used to “do and undo then redo” and both Will and Connie want to do it perfectly the first time. Sadly life just isn’t that way, especially when you are trying to bring someone else’s vision to life.

And there are 3 ways to do things wherever you work: The right way, the wrong way and the way your boss thinks it's going to be done. Guess which one you should choose? And really, what does doing it her way hurt? How does it negatively impact you? Sure it may not be the way you'd go about doing it, but is it really that bad? Besides, 9 times out of 10 there is a reason for it...

It’s good to be a rock…the water just flows around you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home