Bear Necessities

Friday, June 29, 2007

Limping into the Finish

Okay if I were to do an outline of the end of my day yesterday here it is:

Left work at 4:30 to head into the city for the Phillies game
Sat in traffic for 1 1/2 hours
Phone ran out of juice
Arrived at Don's precisely at 6 PM
Sat at parking lot gate for 10 minutes ringing the bell until someone let me in
Got out of car and wondered what was stuck to the bottom of my shoe
Further investigation showed it WAS the bottom of my shoe
Ripped half the sole off shoe and headed into the building
Couldn't call so had to sign in and go up to Don's door
Surprised Don
Babbled out the above and asked to use the bathroom

As you can guess (if you know me at all) I was a bit flustered by this point, so I made Don drive to the ballpark. It was the first time I'd been to the Citizen and I have to say it is much nicer than the Vet. We grabbed a bite from one of the vendors then settled into our seats which were pretty good, and luckily sheltered. I'm not a huge baseball fan, though I do root for the Yankees, but that's an odd story that goes all the way back to middle school. In fact they were playing last night in Baltimore and much to my joy the score was posted on the Wall o' Games so I could follow it. This became a source of amusement for Don. Still waiting on the out come of that one, they got rained out at 8-6 with the Yankees in the lead.

I have to say the game was excellent and Don got some good pictures, I haven't had a chance to go over mine yet. We kept scanning from the field to the darkening sky and wondering when the rain would hit. Around the 5th inning is when I noticed it. I have to say, I was impressed that none of the players got stuck in the mud bog that became home base. They soldiered on through the game, tied 7-7 at the 9th.

In what I considered an exciting finish, Rod Barajason on 2nd was replaced by Jayson Werth (I didn't know they had pinch runners, thank you to Don for the explanation) who soon made a run for 3rd. The exciting part was his graceful leap over the lake in front of 3rd base, to hit the base then go all the way home where he was enveloped by the rest of the team. It was pretty darned cool.

We opted out of fireworks for the sake of our cameras and made a run for the car. Two important notes here:

1-I had no rubber left on the bottom of my sandals
2-Stepping in a warm puddle is just wrong!

We got to the car and on the way back to his place Don revealed that there was an umbrella in the car and he'd walk me to my car with it...when I pointed out I was already soaked his response was, "Well, it's just the thing to do." And do it he did.

After a hug and another wait at the gate to be set free from the lot I was on the road and headed toward the next adventure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home