Bear Necessities

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Objects in the Rear View Mirror...

Thank you to Greg and Meatloaf for this blog title...lol

So I have this skill. I'm really excellent at meeting people who are broken. Perfect strangers really. Something happens and we end up talking about broken hearts. It can be a guy or a girl...and they don't know me from Adam. And I settle into empathy mode and start reciting the truths I know, mainly that things will get better in time and to try to handle things with grace. Also, being alone isn't fun, but it isn't the end of the world either. You learn the most about yourself when you aren't part of a couple, and that leads to better relationships in the future.

So as I sat there last night passing on this information I sort of kicked myself in the butt. I've been fussing over how I should feel about my ex's engagement...and Greg, that endless font of wisdom that he can be, said that while he would expect someone to be a bit sad over this, the sheer surreal quality of this entire relationship probably meant I wasn't. You know what, he was right. I felt like I should be sad...or something...but there's just been so much weirdness and stupidity over the past 2 years, I think I'm just done. I wish him luck, but sink or swim it really has nothing to do with me. And that is just how it should be.

I realized as I told the latest stranger that things would get better that I needed to remember how far I've come, and that my life really is better and I'm pretty happy in it.

So if you're heart has been stepped on and you are feeling like the world is falling around your ears, pick up the pieces you think you will need and drive on. No use staring in the rear view. The only thing back there of any importance would be a cop, and you know what? You'll hear the siren.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home