Bear Necessities

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's the Little things

Connie called late Tuesday evening and with no preamble launched into "How do I get a bat out of my house!?" How should I know? Do I look like I play with bats in my spare time? It has been suggested that I am a little batty, but I maintain only around the belfry area. I gave her the few suggestions I could think of and wished her luck. I did offer to go over and help, but she thought she had it under control.

Before the Bat 911 I made brownies...they are okay, but not the chocolatey goodness I was hoping for. This being the case I made back up cookies for Don and brought the brownies to work where they have become a chocolatey part of Amanda's breakfast (along with leftover pretzels from yesterday).

This morning has been rather comical thus far. I got to work only to realize I'd left the office keys at home. Since the door had been repaired I had no choice but to sit on the step like an out of luck latch-key kid until Gene arrived to let me in. Of course he had a minor heart attack when he saw me out there, thinking something more had gone wrong with the door.

Once I'd made it into the office I started my morning puttering. Start the server, turn on Beverly's oh so slow computer, bring mine on line, check messages and perhaps most important of all, make coffee. With Tony out due to surgery I'm the first one in most mornings so I've taken on his coffee duties.

My boss came in early because she's going to be out most of the morning. As she was making her tea I heard a panicked cry for help: The coffee pot erupted. I don't know what happened, but it was everywhere. So I cleaned up the mess and tried again, this time without incident.

Around 8:30 Ron our plastics sales guy called to tell me to tell Beverly to tell Will that Ardia told him to tell Beverly to let Will know that the plastic we needed would be coming in today. If you're confused imagine how I felt.

A few hours later I heard a small crash in the shop, not unusual and every time I call out to make sure every one's okay I get the same "Yes, just moving stuff" answer, so I didn't this time...leaving Connie's foot stuck under 14 sheets of plastic. She did manage to call my name and together we shifted things around so they were no longer threatening to kill her.

Next Will came into my office and announced that the microwave wasn't working. Much like the bat call I wondered why I would be someone who looked like she could fix this. Yes, I take care of our computers, but microwave tech support is a wee bit out of my field...but I gave it a shot. I've ascertained that the socket is fine (the toaster works in the same outlet) and that behind the microwave is apparently where mice prefer to go potty. Knowing this I wouldn't use that microwave again even if I could have gotten it to work.

So there was a de-pooping of the area, which we will not tell our mouse phobic boss about because she will not return to the office, and luckily there is a back up microwave. Will we throw this one out? Who knows. We keep the weirdest stuff around here.

Now if I can just make my cookie drop without incident I'll be a happy camper.

Go Wednesday! If Tuesday's a monster then you, my friend, are a clown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home