Bear Necessities

Monday, June 11, 2007

Wheee....ow

So the weekend was mostly uneventful. Friday I did myself in moving some furniture from my boss' place to work while trying not to kill her f-ing pushy sister. I spent the rest of the day passed out with a headache, a chunk of Saturday too. I'm going to say the new meds have something to do with it, as I'm not supposed to be over exerting in the sun now and I forgot that little detail.

Sunday was a bright and early day. I met Don in the city around 8 AM and we walked down to Logan's Circle for the Commerce Bike Race. He was trying out some new photography ideas and I was along for the walk on a nice day...and to hold stuff. We basically walked the bike route (though thankfully not all the way to Manayunk) and aside from one spot at Lemon Hill, where I just couldn't do the hopping of the stone wall and rather steep hillside, I didn't have any trouble. In that case I just went the long way around to the top of the slope and he headed up the short way when he saw me get to the top. I couldn't help muttering "You're a gazelle" as he got closer to me.

So here is the race route. We walked from Logan to the bridge before Manayunk, then back to Lemon Hill, through that loop and back to Don's place at Spring Garden and 18th. About the time we hit 20th Don quietly admitted to being tired and hungry. It was about 12:30, so we got lunch at the Chinese place by his building, realizing as we sat down to wait that there was every chance neither of us would be able to get up. Miracle of miracles we did manage to get out of the booth and up to his apartment where we went over his shots as we ate. It was a fun morning, but by 2 he was starting to nod off and I knew that if I didn't get going I'd be napping on his couch.

I think the worst was trying to get out of the car when I got home. Oh the pain! Later that evening Connie called to see if I wanted to get dinner. She had gone on a 7 mile bike ride that morning, the first time she's been on a bike since middle school, so she too was walking stiffly. We looked like we were about 80, but at least we could laugh about it!

When I got home I had an e-mail from Don about a discovery he'd made while looking at his pictures. At one point a pair of men and a woman cycled past us and we thought it was interesting because the way the race is staggered that really shouldn't happen, but oh well. As he was cropping the photo he realized they didn't have numbers...they had just jumped into the race!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home