Bear Necessities

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Undiscovered Country

So my latest adventure has been in sewing...I blame Frank. He makes me want to be all crafty. Anyhow, I've stitched up a few things for events in the past. There was the cobweb fairy for Halloween and a top for Santarchy. Neither too complicated because I figured they'd be one time wears.

Now I'm making a cloak. And it needs to be warm. So Frank and I made the pilgrimage to Joann's Fabric in search of materials. He's quite handy with a stitch and is making a piece for an upcoming party, the same party I've decided I want the cloak for. I found an interesting black/blue metallic fabric and decided to line the piece with black fleece. I even found a pattern!

So this week has been cutting and sewing. For those who don't know, sewing machines and I have never gotten along. Since I started working at a costuming shop we have agreed on a truce, but we are not buddies. Last night I really tested the peace.

Monday Connie was staying late and helped me lay out the fabric. She also gave me a few suggestions on making the piece look more finished. By the end of the day it was put together and just needed finishing hems, top stitches and a few clean up bits. Not too shabby.

Yesterday I had Connie wear the cloak so I could figure out where to put the clasp...
Connie is almost 6" shorter than I am. As she pointed out it's the difference between Hobbit and Elf. But we both agreed this thing is nice and warm!

After the "fitting" I sat down at the machine to top stitch, seeing the finish line coming into view, only to stumble as I lost my bobbin thread. Bobbins hate me. If they had thumbs they'd be pulling pins on grenades and throwing them at me. So as Connie watched I thought back 15 years to home economics and figured out how to catch the thread again. Then I sent Connie home. These things are easier to figure out without an audience.

So I was up and stitching once again...only to run out of bobbin thread entirely. I have never had much luck getting these things spooled and set up, and the last time I tried was in, you guessed it, 1992 with a teacher guiding the process. Somehow I managed to dredge up knowledge I didn't know I had (much like remembering trigonometry for the college placement exams) and get the thing spooled. I am certain I didn't do it correctly, but in the end there was thread on the damn thing so I'm saying I made it my bitch. Liz 2, Machine 0.

Merrily I sewed along and aside from clipping threads and pressing this sucker is done! I have to say I'm kind of proud of myself.


So this is the lovely clasp...










And this is the finished cloak. Whoo hoo! Now I just have to find something to wear under it...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home