Bear Necessities

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Smooshie-ness

Today I had the pleasure of watching baby Charlotte. I was prepared for the worst, but she was a little angel. When I got to Chuck and Julia's the Smooshie was asleep in her swing and once I had been briefed on how to mix formula the proud parents scooted out to see Superman. Charlotte snoozed and swung as I did some reading and in about 30 minutes she awoke none too happy.

I started running through the list of possibilities: Yes, she needed a diaper change. So, through her screaming, we went upstairs and got a fresh nappy on. Still we were not happy. We made a bottle...not hungry. We walked, we bounced, we swayed...nope, not happy. I finally realized she was probably still sleepy, so I secured her in her swing and set her in motion. Initially this was not her happy place, but I have learned at the feet of the master (Zoe McKenna). I sat on the couch just out of her line of sight but where I could still see her. After a few moments the hard core crying subsided and was followed by some of the most heart-breaking noises ever heard by human ears. I held my ground though (it was sooo hard) and soon she nodded off.

She slept for almost an hour then popped awake in a much better mood. We had a bottle, gave an impressive belch, and settled in for a nice chat on the couch. She is a wonderful listener, let me tell you. I teased her about her clammy feet and told her to watch out because her dad's could knock over an elephant and that just wasn't lady-like. We talked about boys, I told her since Mom and Dad were seeing Superman she could expect to be Superbaby when they got home. We sang the elephant song and modified the words to "Mr. Sandman" so it was about a teddy bear (Auntie Liz's rhyming skills need work though). And about the time we were playing horsey and declaring her the cutest thing in Willow Grove Chuck and Julia got home.

The proud papa scooped up his daughter and started flying her around the room (called it) to much giggling. Then Charlotte decided it was time for a new diaper and I happily concluded my duties.

Another wonderful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home