Day 1 in the Hospital
I woke up around 8:30 and for the first time felt kinda lonely. I read for a bit, but before I knew it Monie was back. I don't know how she does it. She hung out until Lydia got here (with balloons!) then we made her go back home to bed. On her way out she called everyone under the sun to tell them where I was and Aly called to let me know that anyone who wanted to could always crash at their place for a nap or whatever. Greg came by shortly after and relieved Lydia. We chatted for quite a while and I’m glad he was there when Dr. Star’s assistant came in to get my consent for surgery. This was the first I’d heard about it and Greg was great about asking questions. The guy described the surgery and recovery, got my consent for Sunday and was on his way. Greg and I had a good talk about it and both began to feel it was probably for the best. After Greg left I got a little time to myself but then Jill and Dan came over with Chez Geek.
Now here’s a kick in the butt. Now that it looked like it would be a while before I got back to my apartment I asked Jill to look in on the animals. She was happy to do so, but I thought I’d make her life easier and see if the shelter could board the bunnies. Board, as in I would pay for this service. I left a message and Jill was the only one in the room with me when they called back. I explained that I was having back surgery in the morning, could I have Jill bring the kids over for boarding tomorrow? Well…she was really full with boarders, couldn’t I have someone come in? I said well, I thought it would be good to have them with someone knowledgeable if I was away too long, and it would bring in some more money for her and the Habit but yes, I could just have someone come in. She said she could take one on Monday, but that’s just dumb so I said not to worry, I’d make other arrangements. Then she started coughing and talking about the pneumonia that wouldn’t go away. The rest of the conversation was about how sick she was. Even I was pretty stunned at this, and Jill was just about yelling, “Hang up on her.” No good deed really does go unpunished I guess.
Anyhow, Monie arrived soon after. We’d just got the game explained when Aly came buzzing in with a big Bee Balloon and gave up on the game for chatting. One neat thing is that the nurses don’t seem to mind our blatant disregard for visiting hours, though I'm still convinced they think Monie is my girlfriend. Aly left when Greg called from the mall to say JR needed a diaper and he didn’t have the bag. Jill insisted on being here when I went into surgery ( have I mentioned she's fantastic? I never would have asked, she has so much on her plate, but I can't put into words how glad I was she offered), so I would be seeing her in the morning and she and Dan left shortly after Aly and then Monie and I played scrabble on my tummy.
We were talking when a tired looking Dr. Star came in and said I most likely wasn’t having surgery tomorrow. I was tired and grumpy, had talked myself into the surgery so this was not what I wanted to hear. He left and I started crying again, telling Monie that I was tired, didn’t want to do this and things just weren’t worth it. She gave me a good talking to and I snapped out of it. We chatted until 10 when I kicked her out to go to a party. At some point in the evening I called Connie to let her know I was in the hospital and would keep her posted. Called one of the postponed dates and left him a message saying I was having surgery the next day and then called the other. He was surprised again, then asked if I have a cool scar on my back to scare small children. I just said, “Ah well, bones heal, chicks dig scars.” His reply of “that’s so hot” caught me off guard and I didn’t inquire as to whether he was serious and if so just what was so hot about it. I told him I’d keep him posted. I finally called Mom and Dad to fill them in, much to their surprise. They agreed surgery sounded best. And Mom was so grateful to my friends I think she was about to cry.
So sleepy time for me. Got more perkiset which didn’t do much.
Now here’s a kick in the butt. Now that it looked like it would be a while before I got back to my apartment I asked Jill to look in on the animals. She was happy to do so, but I thought I’d make her life easier and see if the shelter could board the bunnies. Board, as in I would pay for this service. I left a message and Jill was the only one in the room with me when they called back. I explained that I was having back surgery in the morning, could I have Jill bring the kids over for boarding tomorrow? Well…she was really full with boarders, couldn’t I have someone come in? I said well, I thought it would be good to have them with someone knowledgeable if I was away too long, and it would bring in some more money for her and the Habit but yes, I could just have someone come in. She said she could take one on Monday, but that’s just dumb so I said not to worry, I’d make other arrangements. Then she started coughing and talking about the pneumonia that wouldn’t go away. The rest of the conversation was about how sick she was. Even I was pretty stunned at this, and Jill was just about yelling, “Hang up on her.” No good deed really does go unpunished I guess.
Anyhow, Monie arrived soon after. We’d just got the game explained when Aly came buzzing in with a big Bee Balloon and gave up on the game for chatting. One neat thing is that the nurses don’t seem to mind our blatant disregard for visiting hours, though I'm still convinced they think Monie is my girlfriend. Aly left when Greg called from the mall to say JR needed a diaper and he didn’t have the bag. Jill insisted on being here when I went into surgery ( have I mentioned she's fantastic? I never would have asked, she has so much on her plate, but I can't put into words how glad I was she offered), so I would be seeing her in the morning and she and Dan left shortly after Aly and then Monie and I played scrabble on my tummy.
We were talking when a tired looking Dr. Star came in and said I most likely wasn’t having surgery tomorrow. I was tired and grumpy, had talked myself into the surgery so this was not what I wanted to hear. He left and I started crying again, telling Monie that I was tired, didn’t want to do this and things just weren’t worth it. She gave me a good talking to and I snapped out of it. We chatted until 10 when I kicked her out to go to a party. At some point in the evening I called Connie to let her know I was in the hospital and would keep her posted. Called one of the postponed dates and left him a message saying I was having surgery the next day and then called the other. He was surprised again, then asked if I have a cool scar on my back to scare small children. I just said, “Ah well, bones heal, chicks dig scars.” His reply of “that’s so hot” caught me off guard and I didn’t inquire as to whether he was serious and if so just what was so hot about it. I told him I’d keep him posted. I finally called Mom and Dad to fill them in, much to their surprise. They agreed surgery sounded best. And Mom was so grateful to my friends I think she was about to cry.
So sleepy time for me. Got more perkiset which didn’t do much.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home