A Mother's Love
A few years ago my mother called me out of the blue, and once she was certain it was me on the phone demanded to know if I was having unprotected sex. "Not right now," was my smart-ass reply. She just needed to know I was being safe, even though she knows she didn't raise an idiot.
Flash forward to my latest hospital stay. Since they decided that birth control had a lot to do with causing the clot I'm no longer taking it. Cue Mom:
"Don't have unprotected sex!" Yes, I'm still in the hospital for this conversation.
"Mom, I'm black and blue from my knees to my neck. Being naked isn't a priority right now."
"Still, be careful"
"I just had back surgery! I don't think sex is really in the cards for a while."
"But when it is..."
"I can't shave my legs for 6 months! Isn't that birth control enough for you!"
"There are weird men out there..."
"Sigh. Yes mother, I will not have unprotected sex. I promise." In hind sight, I should have just said this first.
I love my mom. I love that she worries about me. And I love that I can tease her about it. But I always listen.
Flash forward to my latest hospital stay. Since they decided that birth control had a lot to do with causing the clot I'm no longer taking it. Cue Mom:
"Don't have unprotected sex!" Yes, I'm still in the hospital for this conversation.
"Mom, I'm black and blue from my knees to my neck. Being naked isn't a priority right now."
"Still, be careful"
"I just had back surgery! I don't think sex is really in the cards for a while."
"But when it is..."
"I can't shave my legs for 6 months! Isn't that birth control enough for you!"
"There are weird men out there..."
"Sigh. Yes mother, I will not have unprotected sex. I promise." In hind sight, I should have just said this first.
I love my mom. I love that she worries about me. And I love that I can tease her about it. But I always listen.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home