Weekend in Review
A busier weekend than originally planned, but a good one. Friday I busied myself with grocery shopping and getting as much of Saturday night's dinner pre-made as possible. I gave Julie a quick call to see just how far I could prep things and discovered I could do everything but put the ziti in the oven, so I was a happy camper.
I got an unexpected call from Tom, which is always nice. His mother had called to invite him to dinner on Sunday because she was making a turkey and had plenty to go around. In the course of conversation he told her he was seeing me on Saturday and she opened the dinner invitation to me as well. So, did I want to have dinner with his family on Sunday and meet everyone?
Now, I'm old enough that meeting parents isn't a big deal, but was that where I wanted this relationship to go? And if so, were we at the "meet the family" point? I decided that yeah, I'd like to keep him around and we have been together for a while now so why not? It looked like I'd be spending most of the weekend with him, which isn't a bad thing at all.
Saturday was the long limp to the dumpster. Along the way I met another tenant who was having back trouble. We traded stories, wished each other luck and continued to hobble on our way. I did a little rearranging in my storage area then back to the apartment to get ready for company. Tom successfully navigated my directions and arrived a little after 2. It was a fun afternoon of watching movies and catching up. Dinner turned out great and I even sent him home with leftovers (thank you Julie!).
So that brings us to Sunday when I got to play the "what do I wear" game. He picked me up around 3, gave outfit approval (which he got a kick out of) and we were off to New Jersey. I met his parents, his sisters, his niece, his brother and his wife Liz (making me "New Liz") and their six week old little boy. It was quite the gathering, and they are a fun family. Poor Tom got a lot of ribbing, and I heard a lot of embarrassing stories from his childhood. He'd made the attempt to innoculate me the night before by telling me the stories I was likely to hear. He pretty much called them all. After a bit I gave up trying to defend things and just kept reaching over to scratch his arm. He didn't seem bothered by the stories, so all good.
After dinner he was whisked away to the living room to dance and play with his niece...okay, that was just adorable. He's a good uncle, not that I had any doubts about that. I stayed at the table and chatted with the ladies, cooed over the baby and enjoyed the show in the living room. We headed home around 9, with a light snow falling. It was a lovely dinner and good company. In fact, the whole weekend was good company.
I got an unexpected call from Tom, which is always nice. His mother had called to invite him to dinner on Sunday because she was making a turkey and had plenty to go around. In the course of conversation he told her he was seeing me on Saturday and she opened the dinner invitation to me as well. So, did I want to have dinner with his family on Sunday and meet everyone?
Now, I'm old enough that meeting parents isn't a big deal, but was that where I wanted this relationship to go? And if so, were we at the "meet the family" point? I decided that yeah, I'd like to keep him around and we have been together for a while now so why not? It looked like I'd be spending most of the weekend with him, which isn't a bad thing at all.
Saturday was the long limp to the dumpster. Along the way I met another tenant who was having back trouble. We traded stories, wished each other luck and continued to hobble on our way. I did a little rearranging in my storage area then back to the apartment to get ready for company. Tom successfully navigated my directions and arrived a little after 2. It was a fun afternoon of watching movies and catching up. Dinner turned out great and I even sent him home with leftovers (thank you Julie!).
So that brings us to Sunday when I got to play the "what do I wear" game. He picked me up around 3, gave outfit approval (which he got a kick out of) and we were off to New Jersey. I met his parents, his sisters, his niece, his brother and his wife Liz (making me "New Liz") and their six week old little boy. It was quite the gathering, and they are a fun family. Poor Tom got a lot of ribbing, and I heard a lot of embarrassing stories from his childhood. He'd made the attempt to innoculate me the night before by telling me the stories I was likely to hear. He pretty much called them all. After a bit I gave up trying to defend things and just kept reaching over to scratch his arm. He didn't seem bothered by the stories, so all good.
After dinner he was whisked away to the living room to dance and play with his niece...okay, that was just adorable. He's a good uncle, not that I had any doubts about that. I stayed at the table and chatted with the ladies, cooed over the baby and enjoyed the show in the living room. We headed home around 9, with a light snow falling. It was a lovely dinner and good company. In fact, the whole weekend was good company.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home