Nice counts
So I have to have blood work done every week to monitor my INR levels (it's a clotting protein). This tends to be inconvenient because my doctor's office has declared blood work will only be done in the morning, so I have to take time off of work. I can have it done on Saturday, but the office is only open every other weekend. Now, if I make an evening appointment to see my doctor he will do a blood draw for me, but I feel bad taking his time for this. When I asked the scheduling person why I couldn't come in and have this done in the evening all she would say was "because we don't." A frustrating answer, but there wasn't much I could do about it.
Luckily this was one of the weekends they were open, so I headed over to do the deed. Barb was the nurse that worked on me. I feel sorry for the folks who have to poke me because I have small, rolling uncooperative veins. I'm up front about this and usually have a vein suggestion. Barb took my blood last week so we chose a vein together and chatted a bit over the tube. I was wearing my "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment" shirt, my choice for mornings I'm not awake and don't feel like primping. She liked it and we talked a little bit about her morning.
It seems she got some grief from one of the doctors at the practice (not mine, and I'm not a fan of this guy either) and a patient was extra grumpy. Now, Barb reminds me of a grandma. The cookie baking, always ready with a hug kind. I can't imagine someone yelling at her. So we commiserated about the day, and how it shouldn't be so hard so early. She wished me a good day, and I said I hoped hers got better then headed to the front desk.
I'll need to come back a week from Monday and was hoping I could grab the 8 AM appointment because it would be the least disruptive for work. Barb came up front and asked if it wouldn't be easier for me to come at night. I agreed, but since I was told they don't do that anymore for blood draws. Well, Barb is the night nurse and she said she'd do my draw on the QT. I made sure it wouldn't be a problem or get her in trouble and she assured me it was fine. Something she'd do for "nice people" like me.
See? Nice counts, not that I was any different with her than I'd have been with any of the other nurses. Sometimes it's just nice to know you brightened someone's day a little, and Barb certainly brightened mine!
Luckily this was one of the weekends they were open, so I headed over to do the deed. Barb was the nurse that worked on me. I feel sorry for the folks who have to poke me because I have small, rolling uncooperative veins. I'm up front about this and usually have a vein suggestion. Barb took my blood last week so we chose a vein together and chatted a bit over the tube. I was wearing my "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment" shirt, my choice for mornings I'm not awake and don't feel like primping. She liked it and we talked a little bit about her morning.
It seems she got some grief from one of the doctors at the practice (not mine, and I'm not a fan of this guy either) and a patient was extra grumpy. Now, Barb reminds me of a grandma. The cookie baking, always ready with a hug kind. I can't imagine someone yelling at her. So we commiserated about the day, and how it shouldn't be so hard so early. She wished me a good day, and I said I hoped hers got better then headed to the front desk.
I'll need to come back a week from Monday and was hoping I could grab the 8 AM appointment because it would be the least disruptive for work. Barb came up front and asked if it wouldn't be easier for me to come at night. I agreed, but since I was told they don't do that anymore for blood draws. Well, Barb is the night nurse and she said she'd do my draw on the QT. I made sure it wouldn't be a problem or get her in trouble and she assured me it was fine. Something she'd do for "nice people" like me.
See? Nice counts, not that I was any different with her than I'd have been with any of the other nurses. Sometimes it's just nice to know you brightened someone's day a little, and Barb certainly brightened mine!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home